1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diamagnetic Levitation

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    So I want to levitate....(drum roll please)....A REALLY SMALL WORM!!!

First off, I read that the downward pull on the worm will be gr (gravity times density), so then how would I calculate how powerful my magnet would have to be to balance this force?

So thats the mathematical part...

Now, what else can I do with this experiment? I want to test stuff, not just levitate a worm (although levitating a worm is still awesome). Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

xts

I am afraid - levitating even small warm seems impossible without use of the strongest magnets in the world.
    Famous Frog of Nijmegen levitated in a field of 16T magnet.
    Size of the warm doesn't really matter (unless you want to levitate the elephant) - it is water diamagnetism which causes levitation, and as long as the object is smaller than magnet yoke - it makes no difference if it has 1mm or 1cm.
    To levitate water (or any living creature, built mostly of water) you must create magnetic field gradient bigger than 1400 T2/m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation
    http://www.ru.nl/hfml/research/levitation/diamagnetic/

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    Awww...well what are some easy levitating resources? I know that theres a special type of graphite that works well...any other?

5. Oct 16, 2011 #4

xts

Graphite seems to be easiest one.
    But bismuth may work too.
    Long time ago I used to demonstrate for students levitation with 1T permanent neodymium magnets and a cube 1cmx1cmx1cm or so of metallic bismuth.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook