Diamagnetic Levitation: How to Levitate a Worm and Other Experiment Ideas

In summary, levitating a small worm using magnets is not an easy task and would require the use of the strongest magnets in the world. The size of the worm does not affect the ability to levitate, as it is the water diamagnetism that causes levitation. Creating a magnetic field gradient of at least 1400 T2/m is necessary to levitate living creatures. Some possible resources for levitation include graphite and bismuth.
ObsoleteBacon
So I want to levitate...(drum roll please)...A REALLY SMALL WORM!

First off, I read that the downward pull on the worm will be gr (gravity times density), so then how would I calculate how powerful my magnet would have to be to balance this force?

So that's the mathematical part...

Now, what else can I do with this experiment? I want to test stuff, not just levitate a worm (although levitating a worm is still awesome). Any suggestions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid - levitating even small warm seems impossible without use of the strongest magnets in the world.
Famous Frog of Nijmegen levitated in a field of 16T magnet.
Size of the warm doesn't really matter (unless you want to levitate the elephant) - it is water diamagnetism which causes levitation, and as long as the object is smaller than magnet yoke - it makes no difference if it has 1mm or 1cm.
To levitate water (or any living creature, built mostly of water) you must create magnetic field gradient bigger than 1400 T2/m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation
http://www.ru.nl/hfml/research/levitation/diamagnetic/

Awww...well what are some easy levitating resources? I know that there's a special type of graphite that works well...any other?

Graphite seems to be easiest one.
But bismuth may work too.
Long time ago I used to demonstrate for students levitation with 1T permanent neodymium magnets and a cube 1cmx1cmx1cm or so of metallic bismuth.

Last edited:
for your question! Diamagnetic levitation is a fascinating phenomenon that has been studied and utilized by scientists for many years. Levitating a worm may seem like a simple experiment, but it actually involves some complex physics and calculations.

To calculate the required strength of the magnet, you would need to know the mass and density of the worm, as well as the strength of Earth's gravitational field at your location. Once you have that information, you can use the equation F = mg (force equals mass times gravity) to determine the downward force on the worm. Then, you can use the equation F = B^2/2μ (force equals magnetic field strength squared divided by 2 times the permeability of the material) to calculate the required magnetic field strength to balance the downward force. Keep in mind that this is a simplified calculation and there may be other factors to consider, such as the strength and composition of the magnet itself.

Now, as for other experiments you can do with diamagnetic levitation, the possibilities are endless! You can try levitating other objects of different sizes and densities, such as paper clips, coins, or even small insects. You can also experiment with different types of magnets and see how they affect the levitation. Another interesting idea is to explore the effects of temperature on diamagnetic materials and their levitation abilities. You can also research the various practical applications of diamagnetic levitation, such as in transportation or materials science.

Overall, diamagnetic levitation is a fascinating and versatile concept that can lead to many interesting experiments and discoveries. I encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with this phenomenon, and perhaps even share your findings with the scientific community. Best of luck with your worm levitation experiment and future endeavors!

What is diamagnetic levitation?

Diamagnetic levitation is a phenomenon in which an object with a weak magnetic field, such as a worm, can be levitated above a strong magnetic field without any physical support. This is achieved due to the repulsive force between the object's weak magnetic field and the strong magnetic field.

How does diamagnetic levitation work?

Diamagnetic materials, such as water and living organisms like worms, have a weak magnetic field that is repelled by strong magnetic fields. When placed in a strong magnetic field, the diamagnetic object experiences a force that is strong enough to counteract the force of gravity, causing it to levitate.

Can any object be levitated using diamagnetic levitation?

No, not all objects can be levitated using diamagnetic levitation. Only materials with a weak magnetic field can be levitated, such as water, plants, and living organisms. Objects with a strong magnetic field, such as metals, cannot be levitated using this method.

What are some other experiment ideas using diamagnetic levitation?

Aside from levitating a worm, other experiment ideas using diamagnetic levitation include levitating a frog, a grape, or even a small magnet. You can also try creating a magnetic train by using diamagnetic materials and a strong magnet to create a track for the object to levitate on.

Is diamagnetic levitation safe for living organisms?

Yes, diamagnetic levitation is safe for living organisms as it does not involve any harmful radiation or chemicals. However, it is important to note that the magnetic field used should not be too strong, as it can cause harm to the organism's cells. It is recommended to use a magnetic field strength of less than 10 Tesla for living organisms.