1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diameter of critical object

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1
    Diameter of "critical" object

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pressure of [itex] \textrm{2} \cdot \textrm{10}^{9} [/itex] Pa on a time scale of [itex] \textrm{10}^{9} [/itex] yr, holds half way to the center of the "critical" objects.
    Estimate the diameter using two densities: [itex] \rho = 3 \textrm{g}/ \textrm{cm} ^{3} [/itex] and [itex] \rho = 1 \textrm{g}/ \textrm{cm} ^{3} [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I was told to use the equation for hydrostatic equilibrium

[tex] \frac{dp_}{dr} = -\frac{GM_{r}\rho}{{r}^{2}} [/tex]

where

[tex] M_{r} = \frac{4\pi {r}^{3}\rho}{3} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I chose 2r as the radius for the entire object, then r is the radius half way.
    I then inserted [itex]M_{r}[/itex] into the equation for hydrostatic equilibrium and integrated the new equation

[tex]p = \int_{2r}^r -\frac{{4\pi G} \rho^{2}}{3}r^\prime\, dr^\prime = \frac{{4\pi G} \rho^{2}}{3} ((2r)^{2}-r^{2}) = 2 \pi G \rho^{2} r^{2}[/tex]

Then I just inserted all the constants and solved the equation for r.

[tex]\rho = 3 \textrm{g}/ \textrm{cm} ^{3} \Rightarrow r \approx 728,183 km \Rightarrow d=4r \approx 3000km [/tex]

and

[tex]\rho = 1 \textrm{g}/ \textrm{cm} ^{3} \Rightarrow r \approx 2184,550 km \Rightarrow d=4r \approx 8740 km [/tex]

I was told that I should get a diameter between 500-600 km. Obviously I'm no where near that, so I really need help with this because I have to present a solution on October 18th.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?