How Is the Diameter of an Iron Atom Calculated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the diameter of an iron atom based on its density and number of atoms. The correct solution involves considering the body-centered cubic structure of iron and using the volume of the unit cell to calculate the diameter. The given answer in the problem is incorrect.
Karol

Homework Statement

55.847 grams of iron contain NA=6.02E23 atoms. the density is ρ=7.87 [gr/cm3]. What is the diameter of the iron atom

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The volume of 55.847 grams is: $$\frac{55.847}{7.87}=7.1[cm^3]$$
I assume the NA number of atoms is arranged in a cube with an edge consisting of $$\sqrt[3]{6.02\times 10^{23}}\cong 84,436,877$$
The diameter: $$\frac{0.071}{84,436,877}=8.4\times 10^{-8}$$
The right answer is d=2.8E-10

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

55.847 grams of iron contain NA=6.02E23 atoms. the density is ρ=7.87 [gr/cm3]. What is the diameter of the iron atom

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The volume of 55.847 grams is: $$\frac{55.847}{7.87}=7.1[cm^3]$$
It is correct so far.

Karol said:
I assume the NA number of atoms is arranged in a cube with an edge consisting of $$\sqrt[3]{6.02\times 10^{23}}\cong 84,436,877$$
What do you mean?

Karol said:
The diameter: $$\frac{0.071}{84,436,877}=8.4\times 10^{-8}$$
The right answer is d=2.8E-10

In what units? Your answer is wrong anyway.

ehild

Don't drop the units. Keep the units throughout your calculation and you will see your mistake.

I think of the round atom to be a cube with edge d=the diameter of the atom, then the 7.1[cm3] volume is filled with cubes:
##d^3\cdot N_A=7.1\times 10^{-6}[m^3] \Rightarrow d=2.3\times 10^{-10}##
The answer should be 2.8E-10, how to account for the difference? is my method right? maybe because of the different arrangement of round atoms?

Karol said:
I think of the round atom to be a cube with edge d=the diameter of the atom, then the 7.1[cm3] volume is filled with cubes:
##d^3\cdot N_A=7.1\times 10^{-6}[m^3] \Rightarrow d=2.3\times 10^{-10}##
The answer should be 2.8E-10, how to account for the difference? is my method right? maybe because of the different arrangement of round atoms?

Your result would be correct if the iron crystallized in simple cubic lattice. But it is body-centered cubic.
There are two atoms in the elementary cell, a cube. One atom is at each vertex, shared between 8 cells, and the other one is at the centre of the cube. The diameter of the atoms is half the body-diagonal of the cube. http://www.chemprofessor.com/solids_files/image027.jpg

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
gg

The BCC structure. every cube has in it one complete atom + ##8\times\frac{1}{8}## of atoms on the corners, which gives 2 atoms in a cube.
In the diagonal of the cube are 4 radii: ##\sqrt{3}a=4r\rightarrow r=\frac{4}{\sqrt{3}}##
$$\left(\frac{4}{\sqrt{3}} r\right)^3\frac{N_A}{2}=7.1E-6\Rightarrow d=2r=2.07E-10$$
And still wrong

Karol said:
The BCC structure. every cube has in it one complete atom + ##8\times\frac{1}{8}## of atoms on the corners, which gives 2 atoms in a cube.
In the diagonal of the cube are 4 radii: ##\sqrt{3}a=4r\rightarrow r=\frac{4}{\sqrt{3}}##
$$\left(\frac{4}{\sqrt{3}} r\right)^3\frac{N_A}{2}=7.1E-6\Rightarrow d=2r=2.07E-10$$
And still wrong

Some rounding error? Using your equations and numbers I get 2.5E-6. This agrees with the value at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron
Typo: I meant 2.5E-10.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Some rounding error? Using your equations and numbers I get 2.5E-6. This agrees with the value at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron
What am I missing? Wikipedia give the radius as 126 pm ##= 1.26 \times 10^{-10}## m.

tms said:
What am I missing? Wikipedia give the radius as 126 pm ##= 1.26 \times 10^{-10}## m.

Please see my correction to earlier post.

Karol said:
And still wrong

Your equation seems correct to me, although I think a mistake was made with the final calculation. Using your equation, I get
$$d = 2.48*10^{-10}[m]$$
Maybe the "solution" you've been given is incorrect?

What if the expected solution was simpler?

Starting as the OP with the total volume
$$
\frac{55.847\ \mathrm{g}}{7.87\ \mathrm{g/cm}^3} = 7.10\ \mathrm{cm}^3
$$
then, dividing by the number of atoms, we get the volume per atom
$$
\frac{7.10\ \mathrm{cm}^3}{6.022 \times 10^{23}} = 1.18 \times 10^{-23}\ \mathrm{cm}^3 = 1.18 \times 10^{-29}\ \mathrm{m}^3
$$
Assuming a spherical atom, we have
$$
r = \left( \frac{3}{4 \pi} V \right) = \left( \frac{3}{4 \pi} 1.18 \times 10^{-29}\ \mathrm{m}^3 \right)^{1/3} = 1.41 \times 10^{-10}\ \mathrm{m}
$$
thus a diameter of ##d = 2.8 \times 10^{-10}\ \mathrm{m}##.

DrClaude said:
What if the expected solution was simpler?

It is quite possible, but wrong. The spheres do not fill the available volume.

ehild

1. What is the diameter of the iron atom?

The diameter of an iron atom is approximately 0.2 nanometers (nm). This measurement can vary slightly depending on the state and form of the iron atom.

2. How is the diameter of an iron atom determined?

The diameter of an iron atom is determined through various scientific techniques, including X-ray crystallography, electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy. These methods allow scientists to visualize and measure the size of individual atoms.

3. How does the diameter of an iron atom compare to other atoms?

The diameter of an iron atom is relatively small compared to other atoms. For example, the diameter of a hydrogen atom is about 0.1 nm, while the diameter of a carbon atom is approximately 0.15 nm. This is due to the smaller atomic radius of iron compared to these elements.

4. Can the diameter of an iron atom change?

The diameter of an iron atom can change in certain conditions, such as when it forms bonds with other atoms. When iron atoms bond with other atoms, their electron clouds can overlap and cause the overall size of the atom to increase or decrease.

5. Why is the diameter of an iron atom important?

The diameter of an iron atom is important in understanding the physical and chemical properties of iron. It also plays a crucial role in various industrial and technological applications, such as in the production of steel and in the development of new materials.