The Melting Point of Diamonds: Burning or No Burning?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of combustion and its products, specifically in relation to diamond. It is mentioned that combustion typically involves the combination of a substance with oxygen, resulting in heat and light. However, the products can vary depending on the reactants involved. It is noted that diamonds do not produce H2O when burned, despite a previous rule that stated all combustion results in H2O and CO2. The conversation also delves into the properties of carbon and how it reacts when heated in different environments. Ultimately, it is concluded that diamonds can burn to produce CO2 at a lower temperature than their melting point and that they can also convert to graphite when heated in an inert atmosphere. The issue of hydrogen production is also addressed
Weissritter
I heard something that I adopted as a rule some years ago: "Every combustion produces H2O and CO2". I used it blindy until hydrogen burning came to mind.
Clearly, H2 does not produce CO2.
Now, what happens when a diamond reaches its melting point, and, does it burn afterwards? If so, what kind of reaction happens?
And yes, this is not homework.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In the air diamond will burn long before reaching its melting point.

Things like Cs and Mg will burn in air, too. I guess the real question is how do you define combustion...

Diamond's internal bonding is highly stable, strong and pressure-resisting. All of these mean the diamond would have a damned high fusion point. But it is organic. With proper conditions, any organic structure can quickly and aggressively break their bondings and create CO2 and H2O.
So what could happen if, instead of just fusing the diamond, and gradually getting it into gas state, the proper combustion could be given, no matter time nor energy wasted, would it burn? If so, what compounds would we have as products.
My own way of describing combustion is an aggressive oxidation of the carbon in an organic compound, making big structures little ones.

Diamond is pure carbon. You repeatedly reference the burning of hydrogen and the production of H2O. Where does the hydrogen come from when you burn something that is pure carbon?

Diamond simply burns to give CO2 at 973 K, way lower than its melting point. One doesn't simply burns a substance by making it in gaseous form.

Look at ordinary charcoal or coke.

It is pure carbon - all hydrogen was driven away in charring it. What was left behind was small crystals of graphite and some pores between them.

On heating in air, charcoal will neither melt nor evaporate. Instead, the oxygen in air reacts directly with the surface of graphite releasing heat and carbon oxides.

If any flames issue from coals of fire, they are caused by carbon monoxide reacting with more oxygen.

If charcoal is heated in inert environment like argon, then even below melting point it is annealed - the small graphite crystals grow and distort, closing the pores. But at 1 bar, graphite will not melt at all - sharing that property with substances like carbon dioxide (dry ice) and arsenic. The sublimation temperature of graphite at 1 bar is estimated as about 3700 Celsius.

Diamonds in air burn much like pieces of charcoal or graphite - though note they are not porous as charcoal.

Diamond does not melt or sublime at 1 bar either. On heating in inert atmosphere between 1500 and 2500 Celsius, diamond converts into graphite.

Weissritter said:
I heard something that I adopted as a rule some years ago: "Every combustion produces H2O and CO2".
Not sure where you heard it, but it is incorrect. As others stated, the products depend on the reactants. What is always the same in a combustion process is the oxygen. So that's the definition: chemically combining a substance with oxygen in a rapid reaction, creating heat and light.

The definition is somewhat loose as it pertains to the speed of the reaction though, since the word "fast" is qualitative and the reactions can otherwise be identical whether happening "fast" or "slow".

snorkack said:
Look at ordinary charcoal or coke.

It is pure carbon - all hydrogen was driven away in charring it. What was left behind was small crystals of graphite and some pores between them.

On heating in air, charcoal will neither melt nor evaporate. Instead, the oxygen in air reacts directly with the surface of graphite releasing heat and carbon oxides.

If any flames issue from coals of fire, they are caused by carbon monoxide reacting with more oxygen.

If charcoal is heated in inert environment like argon, then even below melting point it is annealed - the small graphite crystals grow and distort, closing the pores. But at 1 bar, graphite will not melt at all - sharing that property with substances like carbon dioxide (dry ice) and arsenic. The sublimation temperature of graphite at 1 bar is estimated as about 3700 Celsius.

Diamonds in air burn much like pieces of charcoal or graphite - though note they are not porous as charcoal.

Diamond does not melt or sublime at 1 bar either. On heating in inert atmosphere between 1500 and 2500 Celsius, diamond converts into graphite.

AGNuke said:
Diamond simply burns to give CO2 at 973 K, way lower than its melting point. One doesn't simply burns a substance by making it in gaseous form.
These two are the [STRIKE]droids[/STRIKE] answers I was looking for. Thanks

chemisttree said:
Diamond is pure carbon. You repeatedly reference the burning of hydrogen and the production of H2O. Where does the hydrogen come from when you burn something that is pure carbon?
Yes, I am aware this reaction would not produce H2O. I just didn't make it clear enough, it seems. Most of the answers also said something I already knew, so...I'll make things more clear in a near future. Thanks all.

1. What is the melting point of diamonds?

The melting point of diamonds is approximately 3,550 degrees Celsius (6,422 degrees Fahrenheit).

2. Do diamonds burn when heated to their melting point?

No, diamonds do not burn when heated to their melting point. They undergo a process called sublimation, where they transition directly from a solid to a gas without going through a liquid state.

3. What is the reason for diamonds not burning at their melting point?

The strong covalent bonds between carbon atoms in a diamond make it very difficult for them to break apart and react with oxygen, which is necessary for combustion to occur. This is why diamonds do not burn at their melting point.

4. Can diamonds burn at any temperature?

Yes, diamonds can burn at extremely high temperatures (above 850 degrees Celsius) in the presence of oxygen. This process is known as combustion and results in the formation of carbon dioxide gas.

5. Is the melting point of diamonds affected by impurities?

Yes, impurities can lower the melting point of diamonds. For example, if a diamond contains boron or nitrogen, which are common impurities in natural diamonds, it can lower the melting point by several hundred degrees.