1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diamond Care

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
    Do diamonds get affected by any acidic or alkaline liquids the one which is present in the toilet cleaners and the nail paint removers....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well this is interesting, first link: "Therefore try to keep diamonds away from lotion, perspiration and other corrosive household cleaners such as ammonia or bleach cleaners", second link: "Clean your diamonds regularly using a commercial jewelry cleaner, a mix of ammonia and water, or a mild detergent". I guess pure ammonia is not good, but a dilute solution is fine? My jeweler also recommended a soapy solution of dishwashing detergent and ammonia (1:6) in warm water.

5. Aug 6, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yes I noticed that. I was struck too by the idea that there may be cracks and scratches in ones diamonds.

Hopefully the tiaras broaches don't require much maintenance.

I don't wear those while cleaning the toilet, so I guess it's a non-issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?