Understanding the Dicyclic Group of Order 12: Composition and Element Orders

But actually you can choose your generators in ##\mathbb{Z}_6## and ##\mathbb{Z}_2## freely. In summary, the dicyclic group of order 12, also known as Dic12, is generated by two elements x and y. These elements follow certain conditions, such as ##y^2 = x^3, x^6 = e, y^{-1}xy =x^{-1}##. The elements of Dic12 can be written in the form ##x^{k}y^{l}, 0 \leq x < 6, y = 0,1##. The product between two group elements can be written as ##(x^{k
Azure Ace

Homework Statement

The dicyclic group of order 12 is generated by 2 generators x and y such that: ##y^2 = x^3, x^6 = e, y^{-1}xy =x^{-1} ## where the element of Dic 12 can be written in the form ##x^{k}y^{l}, 0 \leq x < 6, y = 0,1##. Write the product between two group elements in the form ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n})## and show that ##a^3## is the only order 2 element and ##a^2## is the only order 3 element in Dic12.

Homework Equations

##y^2 = x^3, x^6 = e, y^{-1}xy =x^{-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I was able to obtain is ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n}) = x^{k-m}y^{l+n}## for ##l = -1, 1## and ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n}) = x^{k+m}y^{n}## for ##l = 0##. Is this correct? Also, Isn't it that ##a^4## also an order 3 element? So now, I'm confused T_T

Physics news on Phys.org
Azure Ace said:

Homework Statement

The dicyclic group of order 12 is generated by 2 generators x and y such that: ##y^2 = x^3, x^6 = e, y^{-1}xy =x^{-1} ## where the element of Dic 12 can be written in the form ##x^{k}y^{l}, 0 \leq x < 6, y = 0,1##. Write the product between two group elements in the form ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n})## and show that ##a^3## is the only order 2 element and ##a^2## is the only order 3 element in Dic12.

Homework Equations

##y^2 = x^3, x^6 = e, y^{-1}xy =x^{-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I was able to obtain is ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n}) = x^{k-m}y^{l+n}## for ##l = -1, 1## and ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n}) = x^{k+m}y^{n}## for ##l = 0##. Is this correct? Also, Isn't it that ##a^4## also an order 3 element? So now, I'm confused T_T

For one thing you seem to be using ##x## and ##a## to denote the same symbol. That's confusing. I do think your product relation looks like it works out. Though I'd choose to write it differently (I'm not sure what ##l=-1## is for). But sure, order 3 elements always come in pairs.

Likes Azure Ace
Dick said:
For one thing you seem to be using ##x## and ##a## to denote the same symbol. That's confusing. I do think your product relation looks like it works out. Though I'd choose to write it differently (I'm not sure what ##l=-1## is for). But sure, order 3 elements always come in pairs.

Sorry, a is supposed to be ##x##. I'm confused by the problem that ##x^2## is the only order 3 element, but I also think that ##x^4## is also an order 3. I thought that maybe my product is wrong or something.

What is the atomic number of Dic12?

The atomic number of Dic12 is 12.

What is the chemical symbol for Dic12?

The chemical symbol for Dic12 is Dc.

What is the electron configuration of Dic12?

The electron configuration of Dic12 is [Ne] 3s2 3p6 3d2.

What is the melting point of Dic12?

The melting point of Dic12 is 2800°C (5072°F).

What is the most common oxidation state of Dic12?

The most common oxidation state of Dic12 is +2.