1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dic12 element orders

1. Dec 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The dicyclic group of order 12 is generated by 2 generators x and y such that: ##y^2 = x^3, x^6 = e, y^{-1}xy =x^{-1} ## where the element of Dic 12 can be written in the form ##x^{k}y^{l}, 0 \leq x < 6, y = 0,1##. Write the product between two group elements in the form ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n})## and show that ##a^3## is the only order 2 element and ##a^2## is the only order 3 element in Dic12.

2. Relevant equations
    ##y^2 = x^3, x^6 = e, y^{-1}xy =x^{-1}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer I was able to obtain is ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n}) = x^{k-m}y^{l+n}## for ##l = -1, 1## and ##(x^{k}y^{l})(x^{m}y^{n}) = x^{k+m}y^{n}## for ##l = 0##. Is this correct? Also, Isn't it that ##a^4## also an order 3 element? So now, I'm confused T_T

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2017 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For one thing you seem to be using ##x## and ##a## to denote the same symbol. That's confusing. I do think your product relation looks like it works out. Though I'd choose to write it differently (I'm not sure what ##l=-1## is for). But sure, order 3 elements always come in pairs.

4. Dec 25, 2017 #3
    Sorry, a is supposed to be ##x##. I'm confused by the problem that ##x^2## is the only order 3 element, but I also think that ##x^4## is also an order 3. I thought that maybe my product is wrong or something.

5. Dec 25, 2017 #4

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted