Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Dick Cheney - 2012

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    So, what do you think? I think America needs Dick Cheney and he knows it. We needs him more than we would like to admit it. I mean look at the current situation. The GOP should get their stuff straight and look for a true candidate.

Dick Cheney - 2012

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The last Vice President to publish his memoirs in a book was Dan Quayle. His goal was to convince people he was a serious politician and not the almost cartoonish character the media portryayed him as.

Dick Cheney's goal is to convince people he's actually a human.

I think he'd be a pretty hard sell as a Presidential candidate.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    What's so bad about Cheney? Seems like people like being spoon fed with BS/lies and fantasies.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And it worked; damage done. I don't see him as a viable candidate.

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5
    Why not?

7. Sep 1, 2011 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[irony]
    He has http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/health/20docs.html" [Broken].
    [/irony]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Sep 1, 2011 #7
    :wink:

9. Sep 1, 2011 #8
    You be hatin Cheney. The guy may be Machiavellian, but he knows what he does.

10. Sep 1, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

He was trashed for 8+ years. There's practically a whole industry of Cheney bashing set up. Regardless of whether or not he would be a good President, he's unelectable.

11. Sep 1, 2011 #10
    Propaganda, obey.

12. Sep 1, 2011 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It takes more than spoon feeding people BS, lies, and fantasies to become President. You have to have a decent delivery style, as well. Cheney's delivery was so poor that most people began to see him as an evil villain instead of a rescuing hero.

13. Sep 1, 2011 #12
    He just laid things out as they were. Though, he did appear at times abrasive and gruff. But, he always made sense. More importantly, more-so than other candidates then and now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  14. Sep 1, 2011 #13
    250px-46_Dick_Cheney_3x4.jpg

What's so "monstrous" about him?

15. Sep 1, 2011 #14
    I still tend to believe he is a robot.
    Terminator_robot.jpg

Dick Cheney for president 2012

16. Sep 1, 2011 #15
    If it's comparisons then I think Lex Luthor fits the bill.

display_image.jpg

Just maybe without the extroversion.

17. Sep 1, 2011 #16

jhae2.718

Gold Member

He could win, if he took the other candidates hunting.

18. Sep 1, 2011 #17

Char. Limit

Gold Member

This. ^^

19. Sep 1, 2011 #18
    You might be right that some of the stuff said about Cheney was "BS/lies and fantasies". (I don't think he really deserved the 'Darth Cheney' or 'Prince of Darkness' labels. For example, sure, to a certain extent he seemed to milk his government service for personal gain, but there's nothing particularly unusual or necessarily wrong about that. ) But it also might be the case that a lot of it wasn't. (For example, I think it's been pretty well established that he lied, along with Bush and other members of that adminstration, about the reasons for invading Iraq.)

Anyway, I agree with those here who've said that they think Cheney would be a particularly bad candidate. His approval ratings were rather low a couple of years ago. I don't know if any recent polls have been done on this.

Here's a recent article, Remembering Why Americans Loathe Dick Cheney

Then there's the issue of Cheney's health.

Romney would be a much better candidate for the GOP. There seems to be some doubt as to whether, as a practicing Mormon, he would be able to get the 'bible belt' (and particularly the fundamentalist and evangelical) vote. But isn't Mormonism sort of Christian fundamentalist? If I recall correctly, the Mormon program began with God speaking to Joseph Smith and some stuff was written on gold tablets, or something like that. Why wouldn't Christian fundamentalists eat that sort of thing up?

20. Sep 1, 2011 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Helicopter hunting?

21. Sep 1, 2011 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's amazing that the Mormon church survived after DNA evidence proved that the Book Of Mormon was a fairytale.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook