Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dictionary game

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    this game is a varient of the wikipedia game, though it teaches a strange lesson.

use dictionary.com or someother dictionary site and take any word, look up its definition and then look up those definitions until you get back to the original word...

what it shows is that words are defined by themselves and thus have no meaning (^_^) as far as definitions are concerned... words point to experiences within us which cannot be defined.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2
    You may wish to consider a slight change to the rules. Look up those definitions until you get back to one of the words you already looked up.

I tried playing this game. Unfortunately I looked up an infinite number of words and never got a repeat. I started with 'the'.
  4. Jun 20, 2007 #3
    I cheated and found:

Hill: a natural elevation of the earth's surface, smaller than a mountain.

Mountain: a natural elevation of the earth's surface rising more or less abruptly to a summit, and attaining an altitude greater than that of a hill, usually greater than 2000 ft. (610 m).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?