Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did a plane hit the Pentagon?

1. Dec 10, 2004 #1
    Ok! Who's up for a Conspiracy Theory!

Boing! This Site suggests that the Pentagon was, in fact, not hit by a plane at all, they have some sound evidence too. Apparently there is alot of sceptism about this.
    Rense.com also has a view on it and for the linguistically talented try This Site, and This one too

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2
    This is really old news. I mean really old. Like more than a year I think.

4. Dec 10, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it was hit by a blimp.

5. Dec 10, 2004 #4
    Well SORRY! I'm not american so I don't follow all your conspiracies all the friggin time. God.

A blimp? How so?

6. Dec 10, 2004 #5
    No really, i think i've seen in this in 3 different threads in the past year. I remember most if not all of those questions having been sufficiently addressed. Damn, why is it i can never find old threads when i want to... (on any forum, not just here)...

7. Dec 10, 2004 #6
    damnit, someone find it then, I want proof that a plane hit the damn pentagon!!

8. Dec 10, 2004 #7

I don't think it was here...i just remember having been sent to similar websites from forum threads several times...one of the sites had a very well edited video clip done portraying their claims and evidence, same stuff as that site you just posted, just with a really nice presentation.

9. Dec 10, 2004 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If eyewitnesses and airplane chunks aren't enough for you, nothing will be.

Do a search of the site for threads on the subject.

10. Dec 10, 2004 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Since I am too lazy/skeptical to read the link, can anyone tell me what they claim happened to that plane? There was a plane full of people. Did it just disappear?

11. Dec 10, 2004 #10
    This one is sugessting that a boeing did not hit the pentagon and that the pictures(they have) do not show a plane or any debris from a plane. I think what they are getting at is that a truck filled with explosives crashed into the pentagon, as this was originally reported by the ap (according to this site)

There was a post just like this a week or two ago dealing with the color(blue I think) of the plane instead, and that was their "proof" that a boeing never hit the pentagon. *looks for thread*

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54689&highlight=blue

here it is, the thread is not originally about this, but it does after burnsys first post.

12. Dec 10, 2004 #11

This really belongs in skepticism/debunking...
    What a terrible conspiracy. *shakes head in disgust*

13. Dec 10, 2004 #12

russ_watters

That thread is pretty thin: THIS one contains quite a bit of debunking.

This conspiracy theory is my new Benchmark Conspiracy Theory. This conspiracy theory is such an obvious pack of lies/misrepresentations that a child could see it. Choosing to believe it (or worse, promulgate it) shows clearly where a person stands on reality.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  14. Dec 10, 2004 #13
    I guess those threads were here. Glad someone could find them.

15. Dec 12, 2004 #14
    I don't think there is any way the ap reported anything other than a plane hitting the pentagon. I was glued to the tv from about 5 minutes after the first plane hit the towers and everyone knew it was hijacked airplanes being used.

16. Dec 12, 2004 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't even know it was real news footage when I first turned on the TV. I have a habit of flipping on the TV when I wake up and not really paying much attention to what's on. I thought it was some movie I hadn't seen before. It wasn't until I tried changing channels that I realized it wasn't a movie!

Oh, and there's an easy way to get footage of the scene without any wreckage present, just wait until after it's cleaned up to take your photos.

Besides, do you think the airlines don't know what planes they had take-off that morning that never returned to the airport?

If the Pentagon was going to attempt a cover-up, they'd be covering up that they were hit at all (as in, not wanting to admit they were vulnerable to attack), not claiming it was a passenger flight if it was a missile!

17. Dec 12, 2004 #16
    Yeah I never heard the AP say that either, I was just taking what I got from the site, as a summary for the guy/gal who posted above me who wanted to know what bogus conspiracy this one was. Here is what the site says(the first site), "The Associated Press first reported that a booby-trapped truck had caused the explosion."

18. Dec 12, 2004 #17

Janitor

Science Advisor

I'm pretty sure that the lower 48 states, and especially the northeastern region, are saturated with Air Traffic Control radars. What I am not sure of is whether the radar screen information is sampled and stored for a time. If in fact it is, then there would be lots of independent confirmations of whether that flight path actually was taken, and nobody would even bother to try to pull off such a scheme.

19. Dec 12, 2004 #18

russ_watters

There is a catch, Janitor - air traffic control radar isn't really radar. It only receives and decodes the transponder signal transmitted by an airplane. So if the transponder is turned off, the plane disappears from ATC radar. That said, I'm not sure if the 9/11 planes turned off their transponders or not.

20. Dec 12, 2004 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think they all had their transponders on, because I recall news footage where they were able to track the flight paths and when they realized they were off course, but too late to do anything about it. Is it true that transponders can't be tracked below a certain altitude? I think I heard that somewhere, but don't know if it's true.

21. Dec 12, 2004 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I doubt they would hit the Pentagon. They're mad at the World Trade Organization, not the American Army or whatever you want to call it.

Nevermind... they are attacking freedom. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?