Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did attractive women actually benefit from feminism?

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    Did attractive women actually benefit from feminism?
    Or was it just a way to allow for unattractive women to vent their frustrations against how "easy" attractive women had their lives?
    Rush Limbaugh describes feminism as "a misguided way to allow unattractive women into the mainstream."

Instead of debating whether this is true or not, how accurate do you think this statement is?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2
    No matter how hard I try to rationalize it, I can't find the argument for the attractive woman.

4. Oct 3, 2009 #3
    You've never heard the argument that men pursue wealth and power primarily to attract females, and that because females choose males instead of vice-versa, that the power any male holds is actually held by the female that chose him as a mate?

I can see the validity of it from an evolutionary psychology viewpoint, but it just doesn't seem to match with reality.

5. Oct 3, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mainstream what?

6. Oct 3, 2009 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did you mean to title the thread "unattractive women"? That seems to be what you posted about.

7. Oct 3, 2009 #6

Evo

Most arguments I've seen say that feminism favored unattractive women, as in the Rush Limbaugh statement you quoted. Feminism would be seen to hurt attractive women that would have been seen to benefit from their looks and not from their brains. So, your thread title seems odd.

8. Oct 3, 2009 #7
    The thing is, most people who haven't really thought about the matter automatically believe that feminism helped ALL women across the board, so that's why the word "actually" is in the title...

9. Oct 3, 2009 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well let's look at the US before feminism. Women, even attractive women, were not seen in any numbers in science, in engineering, in math, or business. They were not represented in higher education as a whole, actually.

Women, no matter how attractive, were not allowed to hold positions of power. And now they can, if they can earn it...a direct effect of feminism.

So feminism has hurt attractive women how, exactly?

10. Oct 3, 2009 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Totally nonsensical...there is absolutely no reason to talk about how accurate a statement is if it's not true.

11. Oct 3, 2009 #10
    I didn't go as far to say that feminism actually hurt attractive women, but I think Evo explains the case pretty concisely. Refer to #6
    Yes, and there is absolutely no reason to talk about how accurate a statement is if it's true.

12. Oct 3, 2009 #11
    I've heard it argued that none of those things bring happiness, and that women are actually less happy than they were a century ago.

Not saying I buy it, but I have heard it.

13. Oct 3, 2009 #12

Here's an article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6395879.ece#

Maybe the thread title should read "Why has greater equality brought women greater unhappiness?" Does having MORE of everything necessarily enrich people's lives?

14. Oct 3, 2009 #13
    Well said, besides, I always thought attractive women were more exploited (than less attractive women) prior to the movement and thus benefited equally.

15. Oct 3, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Did you buy into this? There are plenty of women who were not "cute" when I was in HS that I loved, and plenty of women who were outwardly "cute" that were poison. Did feminism change any of that? It's been that way forever, as much as I can figure.

I had to dump my HS GF because she was manipulative and I couldn't deal with it. The next year, she was a Miss Maine runner-up. Cute can't cover up other faults.

16. Oct 3, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You just agreed that it makes no sense to talk a statement's accuracy if it's not true. And then you said it makes no sense to do so if it is true.

I'm confused about what you're asking.

17. Oct 3, 2009 #16
    I was also going to point the feminism history. That statement is ridiculous if you look at the history. Feminism has nothing to do with the attractiveness IMO.

18. Oct 3, 2009 #17
    A statement such as the one made by Rush Limbaugh is a huge generalization. The point of the thread was to analyze the generalization made and to what extent. It doesn't have to be true/untrue like a binary unit.

19. Oct 3, 2009 #18

Evo

Oh, I just re-read this, you're asking more about it from a female feminist perspective?

I would have to agree that there was animosity between intelligent women that were held back and the women that used thier looks to their advantage. But it goes far deeper, as lisab pointed out. Being female meant you couldn't even compete in many cases. The women that managed to get accepted academically were few and far between. But women that were attractive weren't competing academically, they were competing, if that would even be an appropriate term back then, mostly socially, sometimes in business.

20. Oct 3, 2009 #19
    Your original point makes more sense. (Most) women who had good looks probably felt no need to compete academically in the first place, or even compete with men for that matter. Competition, among women, was based on looks and character, in which unattractive women already had partial disadvantage in. The attractive woman would feel flattered from going outside and getting seen where as the unattractive woman less so. Thus, in a way it behooves the unattractive woman to live in a system which sets the ultimate criteria based on labor and study, and the attractive woman may feel a bit more confined since she wants to go outside and get noticed. As an 18-year-old boy, this is what I've ventured to conjure.

In fact, many women felt fairly confident about their position in the domestic realm. Even greater potential for material comfort came if she was one of the more attractive ones that rich men would set their eyes on.

*btw, I'm not here to piss anybody off

21. Oct 3, 2009 #20
    Now, this is you talking not what Rush might be thinking? I don't know how you could make these generalizations confidently without any source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook