Did capitalism helped end or prolong slavery in the US and elsewhere

• Thread starter noblegas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of capitalism in ending slavery in the United States. While some argue that capitalism played a part in the decline of slavery due to its need for trusted workers, others point out that the South's reliance on agriculture meant that slavery was still economically beneficial. It is also mentioned that capitalism led to the eventual abolition of slavery in Britain through the works of abolitionist Adam Smith. The Civil War is also brought up as a turning point, with some suggesting that it was inevitable due to the divide between the North and South's economic mindsets. The founding fathers are mentioned as having differing opinions on slavery, with some owning slaves and others being abolitionists. Overall, the conversation presents a complex and ongoing debate on the role
Preno said:
Out of public sight, obviously.

Turbo provided a very good example (as usual) and may have explained what you meant.
"According the then-Secretary of State Colin Powell, some 50,000 women and children are transported to the US yearly and forced to work in the sex industry. This number does not count the undocumented aliens smuggled into work as domestic help and in sweat shops.

Bush signed the Trafficking Victims Protection Act into law in October 2000, so it's not like this situation is a real secret.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa061202a.htm"

Is this what you meant - or are you saying the slave trade in the US exists beyond this explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "beyond this explanation", but yes, that is what I meant.

Integral said:
The slaves were not attached to the land because if their owner decided to move or to sell them the slaves went where their owners sent them. Serfs were not the property of the land owner they were part and parcel with the land.

Many wealthy northerners held slaves as household servants, just what did these people have to do with land?

mheslep,
Indeed Hamilton set up the first national bank, but he did MUCH more then that. As the first Secretary of the Treasury he set up the entire financial basis of the US. The system he set up was practical and theoretically sound, it is still in use. Smith was a primary reference for everything he did. Indeed government hands off was a big piece of it. These policies had to be established by someone sometime, it was Hamilton in the 1790's.

Not clear to me how it can be denied that capitalism was the economic system of the south, wasn't it part of the US? Just because the southerns did not begin creating factories does not mean that they couldn't, just that they didn't, there is a difference. Sure most of the south was agrarian, but even the small land owners held slaves, it was a prestige thing. IF you could afford a slave you got one or two.

What ended slavery? I think Russ said it. Many northerners were offended by it. There were enough wealthy abolitionists that they were able to get some papers printing essays against it. The papers of the day were shooting for emotional responses, they finally were able to stir up enough feelings to drum up support for a war to end it. The northern capitalist did not have to be an abolitionist to support the war. What good capitalist does not love a war?

Actually the system set up is not sound, it's far from it. And that system is why we are still very much still in slavery today. It's a new kind of slavery. Not chattel slavery, but debt slavery. It's a subtle form of slavery. Of course no one is enslaved more than the one who naively thinks they are free.

The system of banking we have with the central bank and a fiat debt-based monetary system, it inevitably leads to the loss of purchasing power of our labor. The national debt that is backed by the taxpayers is impossible to pay off because it's a perpetual exponential debt which is why it has never decreased since they created the central bank. In fact the last person to come close to paying off the national debt was Andrew Jackson a man who's greatest accomplishment by his own admission was "killing the bank"

I suggest you read his farewell speech to see what he warned us against and see where we are now as a result of the bank formed in iniquity once again roughly 100 years ago.

It's human nature to enslave fellow mankind. Which is why slavery even predates Biblical times. And that desire to enslave fellow man has not subsided. Which is why slavery is covert rather than overt. Through the system of debt slavery, through the loopholes of minimum wage laws such as labor produced overseas, in jails, and there is even human trafficking that goes on today in numbers as arguably as much as the peak of chattel slavery.

But people don't believe it because there is a complete media blackout. But why wouldn't there be when the same people who own the media are the same big banks who have the citizens of this country under the illusion of freedom.

ATTC said:
It's a new kind of slavery. Not chattel slavery, but debt slavery. It's a subtle form of slavery. Of course no one is enslaved more than the one who naively thinks they are free.

I'm free. I went to a bank to borrow money, and I'm glad I did. I couldn't have my car or house without it, and the rate they charge is reasonable. Further, I was well-informed of the terms and had many alternatives.

But if people want to avoid this, all they need to do is not get a loan for their car, house, or other property, carry sufficient insurance to cover anything they could not pay upfront, and not use a credit card or other debt instrument.

ATTC said:
Actually the system set up is not sound, it's far from it. And that system is why we are still very much still in slavery today. It's a new kind of slavery. Not chattel slavery, but debt slavery. It's a subtle form of slavery. Of course no one is enslaved more than the one who naively thinks they are free.

The system of banking we have with the central bank and a fiat debt-based monetary system, it inevitably leads to the loss of purchasing power of our labor. The national debt that is backed by the taxpayers is impossible to pay off because it's a perpetual exponential debt which is why it has never decreased since they created the central bank. In fact the last person to come close to paying off the national debt was Andrew Jackson a man who's greatest accomplishment by his own admission was "killing the bank"

I suggest you read his farewell speech to see what he warned us against and see where we are now as a result of the bank formed in iniquity once again roughly 100 years ago.

It's human nature to enslave fellow mankind. Which is why slavery even predates Biblical times. And that desire to enslave fellow man has not subsided. Which is why slavery is covert rather than overt. Through the system of debt slavery, through the loopholes of minimum wage laws such as labor produced overseas, in jails, and there is even human trafficking that goes on today in numbers as arguably as much as the peak of chattel slavery.

But people don't believe it because there is a complete media blackout. But why wouldn't there be when the same people who own the media are the same big banks who have the citizens of this country under the illusion of freedom.

Interesting, I say that Hamilton did more then the bank, yet that is ALL you talk about. Perhaps you need to read a bit more on the accomplishments of A.H.

ATTC said:
... The national debt that is backed by the taxpayers is impossible to pay off because it's a perpetual exponential debt which is why it has never decreased since they created the central bank. ...
That's misinformation. Please review the guidelines.

514px-USDebt.png

mheslep said:
That's misinformation. Please review the guidelines.

514px-USDebt.png

Who are you trying to fool?

The dollar has lost 95% of its value over the last 100 years. The wages has not even close to kept with that pace which is why the purchasing power of the dollar is weaker than ever before.

The money supply is inflated at a rate much higher than the actual growth of goods and services, and wages have not kept up

ATTC said:
The wages has not even close to kept with that pace... (inflation pace]

The money supply is inflated at a rate much higher than the actual growth of goods and services, and wages have not kept up
Both of those are factually wrong as well.

Please provide sources or retract the claims.

It is possible that you are just confused, as some of your claims contradict each other, but either way, you can't continue like this.

russ_watters said:
Both of those are factually wrong as well.

Please provide sources or retract the claims.

It is possible that you are just confused, as some of your claims contradict each other, but either way, you can't continue like this.

Again who are you trying to fool?

Year Gross Debt in Billions as % of GDP
1910 2.6 n/a
1920 25.9 n/a
1930 16.2 n/a
1940 43.0 52.4
1950 257.4 94.1
1960 290.5 56.1
1970 380.9 37.6
1980 909.0 33.3
1990 3,206.3 55.9
2000 5,628.7 58.0
2001 5,769.9 57.4
2002 6,198.4 59.7
2003 6,760.0 62.5
2004 7,354.7 64.0
2005 7,905.3 64.6
2006 8,451.4 64.9
2007 8,950.7 65.5
2008 9,985.8 70.2
2009 (est.) 12,867.5 90.4
2010 (est.) 14,456.3 98.1
2011 (est.) 15,673.9 101.1
2012 (est.) 16,565.7 100.6
2013 (est.) 17,440.2 99.7
2014 (est.) 18,350.0 100.9

The nation debt has grown exponentially ever since the creation of the Fed and the only time it declined was when Andrew Jackson killed the bank. There was nothing good for the common citizen about the 1st or 2nd national banks and the system we have now is clearly not in the best interest of the public which is why it was born in secrecy and presented under false pretenses. They used fear to sell the idea of the Federal Reserve in the same way they used fear to sell the public on the bailouts. It's a huge scam. And just saying I am uninformed just shows how uninformed you are on this matterIt's an inherently flawed system with a debt that can never be repaid. And in a system where the amount of money grows faster than the amount of goods and services it inevitably leads to price inflation. And when price inflation grows faster than the wages of the people, it highlights even more the loss of purchasing power of the dollar. Sure in some industries such as buying a computer, prices have gone down and quality has improved. But overall when it comes to land, resources, overall, there are far more negative impacts than positive ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
ATTC said:
Again who are you trying to fool?

Year Gross Debt in Billions as % of GDP
1910 2.6 n/a
1920 25.9 n/a
1930 16.2 n/a
1940 43.0 52.4
1950 257.4 94.1
1960 290.5 56.1
1970 380.9 37.6
1980 909.0 33.3
What was your point in posting debt as % of GDP if you don't want to accept that it declined, drastically after WWII? Also, what is the point of posting absolute debt figures over a hundred years in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_versus_nominal_value_%28economics%29" terms, that is uncorrected for inflation? To illustrate, the 1910 figure, $2.6B, was a lot of money back then, but in today's money Bill Gates could pay it off in an afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has wondered of topic.

Perhaps someone should start a thread on the economy and banks if there is interest.