Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did Germany, Japan, or S Korea .

1. Jan 6, 2004 #1
    Did Germany, Japan, or S Korea.....

have it's share of attackers on foreign troops after the war was over?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nope. Although the pro-war crowd tried to claim they did, there was nothing comparable to what we've seen in Iraq. And don't get me started on Afghanistan!

That said, the attacks seem to be tapering off some in Iraq. The reason is said to be that the Army has disrupted the attackers' communications and reduced their access to good explosives, etc. Increasingly too, they are targeting not US personnel but Iraqis who cooperate with the US.

4. Jan 6, 2004 #3
    I've been doing reading on this topic, and do still haven't found much on S Korea.
    I've found that Germany and Japan both had pockets of resistance, but not much at all.

I guess the populous that was ready to surrender before the government did has that effect. That and that fact that those in Iraq and afghanistan often feel their god requires the attacks of them[?]

Get started on afghanistan

5. Jan 6, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

We were tougher in Germany and Japan than we are being in Iraq: martial law on a local level, summary executions, etc.

And S Korea? Thats not an applicable situation. We kicked out a foreign invader with their assistance and never ruled over them - we just reinstated the former goevernment. Its like asking if Kuait resisted our occupation. There was no occupation to resist and no reason to be against us (we helped them).

6. Jan 6, 2004 #5
    I know this wasn't implied in your post, but do you think martial law would be a better course of action than now? Are the new tougher actions working?

I have my own opinions already, just wondering :)

7. Jan 12, 2004 #6
    Umm, how did everyone suddenly forget about all the Japanese soldiers hiding out islands who kept attacking people for years, and in some case decades until after the war was over, not believing Japan had surrendered?

8. Jan 12, 2004 #7
    You answered your own question, the soldiers didnt know that japan had surrendered, therefore they where still fighting the war as far as they where concerned.

9. Jan 12, 2004 #8

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And how many of them were there? A dozen? And howmuch damage did they cause? How many helicopters did they shoot down?

10. Jan 12, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

Well they could have been very accurate when they threw their swords. Thats patriotism that is. Its crazy though, didnt they get the Emperor out on some of the soldiers so he could convince them that the war was over?

11. Jan 12, 2004 #10
    Yea i think so, its the warrior code that they have. The samurai used to swear there sword to the emperor, whatever he told them to do they would do it no matter what, if he told them to kill themselves they would, it was their duty to serve their emperor.

12. Jan 12, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

Hmm......well i suppose it makes sense if you are japanese.

13. Jan 12, 2004 #12
    He asked if Japanese people had any attackers after the war, not if they did and real damage or if there were alot of them.

14. Jan 12, 2004 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think we should be tougher. How tough? Dunno exactly. Though effective, I think the world has moved beyond accepting summary executions.

15. Jan 12, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

lol that was a boring question so we changed it! i dont think Japan had any attackers, i thought they were under US protection because the Americans were providing money are resources after they bombed em.

16. Jan 12, 2004 #15
    Yea i think executions is a little bit extreme/barbaric nowadays, especially when its against people who are only fighting for what they beleive in.

17. Jan 12, 2004 #16

jimmy p

Gold Member

Well you know, to us, its barbaric but to other nations its natural.

18. Jan 12, 2004 #17
    Yea good point, KILL THEM ALL!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?