1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did I do something wrong?

1. Sep 9, 2005 #1
    The problem is -

Consider the following accept constants:

Radius of the moon = 1.74 x 10^6 m
    Average moon-earth distance = 3.84 x 10^8 m

a) What is the apparent angle the diameter of the moon subtends, as seen from the earth? Answer in units of degrees.

I doubled the radius of the moon to get the diameter, and then divided the result by the moon-earth distance. Then, I took the inverse tangent of the result.

I get 51.92 degrees. My college website is telling me this is wrong. Do you get a different answer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

tan(51.92°) = 1.276, so it would appear there is an error in the computation.

The ratio of 2*Lunar Diameter to Earth-Moon distance is ~0.009, so the tan-1 should be small - less than 1°.
  4. Sep 9, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

Did you check that your calculator was set to the appropriate degrees/radians setting?
  5. Sep 9, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why did you doubled the lunar radius before taking the inverse tangeant? The tan thing works on rectangle-triangles only. I say find the angle subtented by half of the moon, and then multiply that angle by 2 to get the total angle subtented by the diameter.
  6. Sep 9, 2005 #5
    Wouldn't you get the same answer?

Well, the angle subtended by half the moon is 25.96. So 25.96*2 = 51.92
  7. Sep 9, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get 0.2596; 100 times less.
  8. Sep 9, 2005 #7
    I thought 0.2596 needs to be converted into a percent? Is that the only mistake I made? :cry:

Yeah I'm an idiot. Now that I actually picture how insane of a degree 51.92 would be, it's clear as day. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  9. Sep 10, 2005 #8

Even you have made a mistake by changing it into percentage, but I don't understand why you have to double the radius of the moon. Isn't it
    arc tan(radius of the moon/moon-earth distance) is the answer? Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?