Calculating the Apparent Angle of the Moon's Diameter from Earth

• Thread starter onetroubledguy
  • Start date
In summary: The problem is that the apparent angle the diameter of the moon subtends, as seen from the earth, is not 51.92 degrees, as the website claims. It is actually about 1.276 degrees. This is because the moon's radius is doubled before taking the inverse tangent, which results in a smaller angle.
onetroubledguy
The problem is -

Consider the following accept constants:

Radius of the moon = 1.74 x 10^6 m
Average moon-earth distance = 3.84 x 10^8 m

a) What is the apparent angle the diameter of the moon subtends, as seen from the earth? Answer in units of degrees.

I doubled the radius of the moon to get the diameter, and then divided the result by the moon-earth distance. Then, I took the inverse tangent of the result.

I get 51.92 degrees. My college website is telling me this is wrong. Do you get a different answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
tan(51.92°) = 1.276, so it would appear there is an error in the computation.

The ratio of 2*Lunar Diameter to Earth-Moon distance is ~0.009, so the tan-1 should be small - less than 1°.

onetroubledguy said:
Then, I took the inverse tangent of the result. I get 51.92 degrees. My college website is telling me this is wrong.

Did you check that your calculator was set to the appropriate degrees/radians setting?

Why did you doubled the lunar radius before taking the inverse tangeant? The tan thing works on rectangle-triangles only. I say find the angle subtented by half of the moon, and then multiply that angle by 2 to get the total angle subtented by the diameter.

quasar987 said:
Why did you doubled the lunar radius before taking the inverse tangeant? The tan thing works on rectangle-triangles only. I say find the angle subtented by half of the moon, and then multiply that angle by 2 to get the total angle subtented by the diameter.

Wouldn't you get the same answer?

Well, the angle subtended by half the moon is 25.96. So 25.96*2 = 51.92

I get 0.2596; 100 times less.

quasar987 said:
I get 0.2596; 100 times less.

I thought 0.2596 needs to be converted into a percent? Is that the only mistake I made? :cry:

Yeah I'm an idiot. Now that I actually picture how insane of a degree 51.92 would be, it's clear as day. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Even you have made a mistake by changing it into percentage, but I don't understand why you have to double the radius of the moon. Isn't it
arc tan(radius of the moon/moon-earth distance) is the answer? Thank you.

1. Why do I feel like I did something wrong?

Feeling like you did something wrong could be due to a variety of reasons. It could be your own internal guilt or anxiety, or it could be because someone else made you feel that way. It's important to reflect on the situation and try to identify the root cause of your feelings.

2. Did I unintentionally hurt someone's feelings?

It's possible that you may have unintentionally hurt someone's feelings without realizing it. Communication and empathy are key in these situations. If you are unsure, it's best to apologize and ask the person directly if you have done something to upset them.

3. How can I make things right if I did something wrong?

If you have done something wrong, the first step is to acknowledge your mistake and take responsibility for your actions. Then, try to make amends by apologizing and taking concrete steps to rectify the situation. It's important to also learn from your mistake and make an effort not to repeat it in the future.

4. Is it normal to feel guilty even if I didn't do anything wrong?

Yes, it is normal to experience feelings of guilt even if you didn't do anything wrong. This could be due to your own insecurities or a result of others trying to manipulate you. It's important to trust your own judgment and not let others make you feel guilty for no reason.

5. How can I prevent doing something wrong in the future?

Reflecting on your actions, learning from your mistakes, and being mindful of others' feelings are all important steps in preventing yourself from doing something wrong in the future. It's also important to communicate effectively and ask for clarification if you are unsure about something.