Is Calculating Radian Measure from Arc Length and Radius Correct?

• Thread starter jayjohn28
  • Start date
In summary, by using the formula S=r(theta), and plugging in the given values of a central angle subtended by an arc 20cm long on a circle of radius 2m, we can find the radian measure of theta to be 0.1. This may seem like a small angle, but it is correct based on the given information.
jayjohn28
A central angle theta is subtended by an arc 20cm long on a circle of radius 2m, find the radian measure of theta.

i used the formula S=r(theta), and just plugged in what was given.

20=200(theta), from there i got theta= 20/200, which gives me an answer of .1. I thought i did this correctly but my answer seems kind of weird. Did i do this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
jayjohn28 said:
A central angle theta is subtended by an arc 20cm long on a circle of radius 2m, find the radian measure of theta.

i used the formula S=r(theta), and just plugged in what was given.

20=200(theta), from there i got theta= 20/200, which gives me an answer of .1. I thought i did this correctly but my answer seems kind of weird. Did i do this correctly?

that should be correct. 200cm in relation to 2ocm arc is small

Yes, you did the calculations correctly. However, the answer of .1 radians may seem unusual because it is a very small angle. Radian measure is often expressed in terms of pi, so you could also write the answer as 1/10pi radians. Another way to think about it is that the arc length of 20cm is 1/10 of the circumference of the circle, which is why the radian measure is also 1/10 of the full circle. Overall, your calculations are correct and your answer is just a smaller angle than what we may typically encounter.

1. How can I tell if I did my experiment correctly?

In order to determine if your experiment was done correctly, you should compare your results to your hypothesis or expected outcome. If your results match up with your predictions, then you likely did the experiment correctly.

2. What should I do if I think I made a mistake during my experiment?

If you think you made a mistake during your experiment, it is important to go back and review your methods and procedures. If necessary, you may need to repeat the experiment to ensure accurate results.

3. Is it possible to do an experiment incorrectly?

Yes, it is possible to do an experiment incorrectly. This could be due to a variety of factors such as not following the correct procedures, using incorrect equipment, or making a calculation error. It is important to carefully follow the steps of an experiment to ensure accurate results.

4. What can I do to ensure that I am doing my experiment correctly?

To ensure that you are doing your experiment correctly, make sure to carefully read and understand the procedures. It may also be helpful to have someone else review your methods and double check your calculations. Taking accurate and detailed notes throughout the experiment can also help ensure that it is done correctly.

5. How do I know if my results are valid?

To determine if your results are valid, you should compare them to previous studies or experiments and look for consistency. It is also important to consider any potential sources of error and whether they may have impacted your results. If possible, conducting multiple trials can also help validate your results.