1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did I do this coversion to Standard correctly?

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    Cover to standard form...

[tex] 4x^2 - 9y^2 + 32x + 18y + 91 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] 4x^2 + 32x [/tex]..................[tex]-9y^2 + 18y[/tex]..................[tex]+91 = 0[/tex]

[tex] 4(x^2 + 8x + 16) [/tex]..........[tex]-9(y^2 - 2y + 1)[/tex]..........[tex]+91 -16 -1 = 0[/tex]

[tex] 4(x + 4)^2 [/tex]..................[tex]-9(y - 1)^2[/tex]..................[tex]+74 = 0[/tex]

therefore

[tex]\frac{(y - 1)^2}{4} - \frac{(x+4)^2}{9} = 74[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    You made a few errors with the constant terms. See if you can figure out where.

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3
    When the 74 goes over the = it becomes a negative, which is not possible. So, I'm thinking i did something wrong by dividing out -9. Somehow I need to get a balancing number that is larger that 91 so it won't be positive on the other side... :confused:
    But I do see something that might work...

I have to change those balancing numbers. I only countered the -16 and -1. But those weren't multiplied by that factor.
    Ok, So, [tex]91 - 64 + 9 = 36[/tex]. 36?
    But I can't get a positive number...since when it goes over the = line it'll be negative.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  5. Mar 16, 2005 #4
    36 is correct. The negative is no problem: just multiply both sides by -1.

You made one more mistake though. To get the 4 and 9 in the denominators you had to divide the equation by 36. Do you see anything that you missed?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?