Is My K-Map for Prime Numbers Correct?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a k-map of the truth table for prime numbers. The person initially shares a picture of their k-map and later provides a larger version. Another person points out a mistake in the third term and the first person realizes their error. The mistake was corrected and the conversation ends.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, here is my k-map of the truth table for prime numbers, if its a prime number it should output 1. I have the truth table and k-map in this picture:
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/568/jiji4uh.jpg
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a problem with the third term of your answer.

I can't read your figure.

KM

sorry here is the picture bigger! i don't see how my third term is wrong? http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9960/lastscan2rz.jpg

mr_coffee said:
sorry here is the picture bigger! i don't see how my third term is wrong? http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9960/lastscan2rz.jpg

you looped `A`BCD and A`BCD, so how did you end up with A`BCD?

hm...I only looped A'B & CD so i got A'BCD

ohhh i see where i ****ed up, sorry! my friend pointed it out also! too much coffee or somthing. :)

mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone, here is my k-map of the truth table for prime numbers, if its a prime number it should output 1. I have the truth table and k-map in this picture:
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/568/jiji4uh.jpg
Thanks.
Hello Mr Coffe...i find some mistake in the third term...it would be B'CD but not AB'CD...

1. How do I know if I did the k-map correctly?

The best way to check if you did the k-map correctly is to compare it with the truth table or the logic expression of the function. If the values in the k-map match the values in the truth table or the logic expression, then you most likely did it correctly. You can also ask a colleague or teacher to review your work.

2. Can I use a calculator to simplify the k-map?

Yes, there are several online k-map simplification calculators available that can help you simplify the k-map. However, it is important to understand the steps and logic behind the simplification process rather than relying solely on a calculator.

3. What is the purpose of using a k-map?

A k-map is a graphical representation of a truth table and is used to simplify Boolean algebra expressions. It helps in identifying patterns and reducing the number of terms in a logic expression, thus making it easier to implement in digital circuits.

4. How do I fill in the values in the k-map?

The values in the k-map are filled based on the input combinations in the truth table. Each cell in the k-map represents a unique combination of inputs, and the corresponding output value is filled in that cell. It is important to fill the values accurately to get the correct simplified expression.

5. Are there any tips to make filling and simplifying the k-map easier?

One tip is to start by identifying and circling groups of 1s in the k-map. These groups are known as implicants and can be used to simplify the logic expression. Another tip is to look for any common patterns or symmetries in the k-map that can help in simplification. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with the k-map to make the process easier.