Did i do this problem right

• Thread starter rijo664
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking about the final temperature of a lump of clay thrown against a wall with specific conditions. To find the final temperature, the kinetic energy formula and specific heat formula are used, taking into account the initial temperature and the mass and velocity of the clay. The final temperature is found by adding the change in temperature to the initial temperature, as kinetic energy is converted to heat. The mass of the clay is 0.855 kg.
rijo664
This was the question

On a pleasant fall day (temperature of 21.0 degree Celcius) a lump of clay (with mass of
.855 kg) is thrown against the wall with a speed of 38.0 m/s. The clay deforms as it sticks to the wall, noiselessly. Assuming no heat escapes into the air, what will be the final temperature of the clay? (Assume the clay starts at the same temperature as the air; Specific heat of clay is 2555 J/kgK.

I did:
Temperature original= 21 degree F
Mass= .885c kg
V= 38.0 m/s
Specific Heat of clay= 2555 J/kgK
Temperature final= ?
Formula= Q=cm delta T
Delta T= Q/cm

These are the variables.
Here is what my answer was.

First i used the Kinetic Energy Formula that is
K=.5(m)(v squared)
I plugged in what i know that is the mass and the velocity
and i got 638.97 that is my kinetic energy.
In order to find the delta T i plugged what i got when i did the kinetic energy formula to the Specific heat formula that is
Delta T=638.97/the specific heat of clay and the mass of clay. and then i subtracted what i got with the initial temperature so am i right so far or wrong just need to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the mass 0.855 kg or 0.885kg? I used 0.855 and got a different kinetic energy...

Your method is correct. But remember that temperature increases... kinetic energy converts to heat. So you add delta T to the initial temperature.

I cannot confirm if your calculations are correct without seeing your work and the specific values you used. However, your approach seems to be on the right track. It is important to note that in order to calculate the final temperature, you need to use the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat absorbed, m is the mass, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature. In your calculations, it seems like you have used the correct formula and values, but it would be beneficial to show your work and the specific values used in order to confirm the accuracy of your answer. Additionally, it would be helpful to include units in your calculations to ensure that the final answer is in the correct unit (in this case, degrees Celsius). Overall, it seems like you have approached the problem correctly, but please provide more details in order to confirm the accuracy of your answer.

1. How do I know if I did this problem correctly?

The best way to check if you did a problem correctly is by double-checking your work. Make sure you followed all the steps and calculations correctly, and that your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. What if I got a different answer than my peers?

It's possible that you and your peers used different methods or assumptions in solving the problem, resulting in different answers. If you are confident in your approach and have double-checked your work, your answer may still be correct.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

It depends on the type of problem and the guidelines given. Some problems may specifically require the use of a calculator, while others may need to be solved manually. It's important to follow the instructions given and use the appropriate tools.

4. Is there a specific format for presenting my solution?

Again, it depends on the problem and the instructions given. Some problems may require a specific format, such as showing all work or using a specific unit of measurement. It's important to read and follow the instructions carefully.

5. What if I'm still not sure if my answer is correct?

If you are unsure about your answer, it's always a good idea to ask for help or clarification from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. They may be able to point out any mistakes or provide additional guidance on how to solve the problem correctly.