Did i do this problem right

• Thread starter jim1174
  • Start date
In summary, to ensure you have used the right equation for a problem, check if the units of measurement are correct and if the equation accounts for all given variables. To determine if your answer is reasonable, compare it to similar problems or use estimation. To check for errors in calculations, review each step and consider using a different method. As a scientist, it is important to be able to check your own work, but you can also ask for feedback from a colleague or teacher. If you are struggling to solve a problem, try breaking it down and seeking help from a peer or instructor.
jim1174
find the standard deviation for the binomial distribution which has stated values of n=50 and p=0.3. use normal distribution to approximate the binomial distribution and find probability of (a) x> 13 and (b) 13<x 17.

Answer

standard deviation = sqrt[np(1-p)] = sqrt[50*.3*.7] = sqrt(10.5) = 3.24037

(a) First, change x = 13 to a z-score using a continuity correction:

(13.5 - .3*50) / sqrt(.3*.7*50) = -0.46

P(x > 13) = P(z > -0.46) = .5000 + .1772 = .6772

(b) Change 17 to a z-score:

(17.5 - 15) / sqrt(.3*.7*50) = 0.77

P(13 < x < 17) = P(-0.77 < z < 0.77) = 2 * .2794 = .5588

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

1. Did I use the right equation for this problem?

To determine if you used the right equation, you can double check if the units of measurement are correct and whether the equation accounts for all the variables given in the problem.

2. Is my answer reasonable?

To determine if your answer is reasonable, you can compare it to similar problems you have solved before or use estimation to see if your answer falls within a reasonable range.

3. Did I make any errors in my calculations?

To check for errors in calculations, you can go through each step of your solution and make sure you used the correct numbers and operations. You can also try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer.

4. Can you check my work and tell me if it's correct?

As a scientist, it is important to be able to check your own work and determine if it is correct. However, you can always ask a colleague or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

5. What should I do if I can't solve the problem?

If you are struggling to solve a problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and tackling each part individually. You can also seek help from a peer or instructor to get a different perspective on the problem.