Did i do this question right? centripetal acc. ?

• Thread starter BeckyStar678
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centripetal
In summary, the rotation rate required to give an astronaut a centripetal acceleration of 3g while in circular motion with a radius of 9.45 m is approximately 33 rev/s. However, the calculated velocity may be incorrect, so double check the calculation and ensure that the units are correct in all calculations.
BeckyStar678

Homework Statement

Determine the rotation rate, in rev/s, required to give an astronaut a centripetal acc of 3g while in circular motion with radius 9.45 m.

Homework Equations

ac=v^2/r
i did 3g=v^2/9.45 and got 1.76
then i used T=2pie(r)/v, put in T=2pie(9.45)/1.76

The Attempt at a Solution

with doing what i did above i got 33.73. this doesn't seem right. 33 rev/s? that would be fast!

Physics news on Phys.org
Double check your calculation for the velocity, it can't be right.

Also, make sure you check that your units work out in your calculations. If they don't come out to what you want, you've made a mistake somewhere.

Your approach to the problem is correct. However, your calculation for the rotation rate is incorrect. To find the rotation rate, we need to divide the circumference of the circular motion by the time it takes to complete one revolution. In this case, the circumference is 2πr and the time is given by T=2πr/v. So, the rotation rate is v/2πr. Plugging in the values given, we get a rotation rate of approximately 0.33 rev/s. This seems more reasonable and is in line with the expected value for an astronaut experiencing 3g of centripetal acceleration. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I know if I calculated the correct centripetal acceleration?

The best way to know if you calculated the correct centripetal acceleration is to check your work and make sure you used the correct formula and units. You can also compare your answer to the known value or ask a peer or teacher to double check your calculations.

2. Can I use any formula to calculate centripetal acceleration?

No, you cannot use any formula. The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and r is radius. Make sure you are using the correct formula for your specific problem.

3. Is centripetal acceleration the same as centrifugal force?

No, centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force are not the same. Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force acting on an object in circular motion.

4. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

Yes, centripetal acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is accelerating in the opposite direction of the center of the circle. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the acceleration when solving problems involving centripetal acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some common examples of centripetal acceleration include a car turning a corner, a ball spinning on a string, and a satellite orbiting around Earth. Any time an object moves in a circular path, there is centripetal acceleration acting on it.