1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did i do this right? Finding parametric equations for the tagnet line to the curve.

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2
  4. Oct 8, 2005 #3
    The problem has alittle calculator sign next to it....so that probably means its hard to graph, and our professor doesn't allow calculators on the exam, so i'm guessing he won't put it on there, but did i do the first part right?

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

First, you have not found the correct expression for the tangent vector at
    (1,1,1)
    You have been given the POSITION VECTOR FOR THE CURVE:
    [tex]\vec{r}(t)=(t^{2},t^{4},t^{3})[/tex]
    What is the general expression for the TANGENT vector at an arbitrary point "t" now?

6. Oct 8, 2005 #5
    You know that the tangent will pass through the point (1,1,1) (given in the question) , now for formulating the parametric equation for tangent , you also need the corresponding direction-cosines , Because you know that the corresponding Velocity vector = dr/dt will be parallel to the tangent , you can try differentiating the expression , and put in value of 't' to get the direction-cosines.

BJ

7. Oct 9, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A quibble:
    They won't be direction cosines unless you normalize the tangent vector..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?