Calculating Chemical Energy Needed to Travel 100km: 4.8 N

• Thread starter TAN6
  • Start date
In summary, The calculation for the chemical energy consumed to travel 100km with a car of mass 1953 kg and velocity of 22.2m/s assuming 100% efficiency is 481258.26 J. This was found using the formula E = 1/2mv^2. To calculate the work, the formula W = F * D was used, resulting in a force of 4.8 N. The person asking for help is unsure if this is the correct method and is also unsure of the concept of chemical energy. They mention a previous assignment involving getting a car up to 80km/h and coasting, and provide additional information such as the type of surface and the coefficient of friction.
TAN6
Did I do this right??

How much chemical energy would be consumed to travel 100km?
* Assuming 100% efficency *
Mass of car = 1953 kg
velocity = 22.2m/s

Here is what I did
E = 1/2 m v^2
E = 1/2 * 1953 * 22.2^2
E = 481258.26 J

Now I plugged the Energy I got into this formula
W = F * D
481258.26 = f * 100,000
Divide both sides by 100,000
F = 4.8 N

Ok so that's the work that I have done. I don't think I was supposed to find the force. What is chemical energy. I thought I did it wrong becasue I thought I was supposed to use E = 1/2mv^2 and add the answer to the W =Fd answer.
So I am kinda lost... Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you traveling on gravel/asphalt/sand/water? Are you repeating the question exactly as it appears in the assignment? It doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Asphalt, The assignment was to get the car up to 80km/h then shift it into neutral and see how far you coast.

here is someother info you might need
mu = 0.0251

What is chemical energy?

Chemical energy is a form of potential energy that is stored in the bonds between atoms in molecules. When these bonds are broken, energy is released in the form of heat or light.

How is chemical energy calculated?

Chemical energy can be calculated by multiplying the amount of substance (in moles) by the energy released or absorbed per mole during a chemical reaction. This is known as the enthalpy change of the reaction.

Why is chemical energy needed to travel 100km?

Chemical energy is needed to travel 100km because it is used to power the engine of a vehicle. The chemical energy is converted into mechanical energy, which is then used to move the vehicle.

What unit is used to measure chemical energy?

The unit used to measure chemical energy is joules (J). However, in some cases, it may be measured in calories (cal) or kilojoules (kJ).

How does the calculation for chemical energy needed to travel 100km work?

The calculation for chemical energy needed to travel 100km involves converting the mass of fuel (in this case, 4.8 N) into moles, using the molar mass of the fuel. Then, the enthalpy change of the reaction is used to determine the amount of energy released per mole. Finally, this value is multiplied by the number of moles to find the total energy needed to travel 100km.