1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did I do this right?

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    Did I do this right??

Hello,

this is my work for the this question:

A pendulum is constructed from a thin, rigid and uniform rod with a small sphere attached to the end opposite of the pivot. This arrangement is a good approximation to a simple pendulum (period=0.66s),m because the mass of the sphere (lead) is much greater than the mass of the rod (aluminum). When the sphere is removed, the pendulum no longer is a simple pendulum, but is then a physical pendulum. What is the period of the physical pendulum.

I used this formlua: f=1/2pie x (mgL/I)^1/2, and the I= 1/3mD^2. I don't have length. But can I assume that L=D/2. L=the length from pivot to the center of gravity of pendulum. So I sub everything in, the masses will cancel, so will some of the D values and I get left with:

f=1/2pie x (g/(2/3 D))^1/2. I don't have D, but I do have the period back up there to be 0.66s. I punch that into this formula 2pief=(g/L)^1/2 and solved for L, which was 0.10. Since D is twice that, D=0.20m?

Well I sub D as 0.20 into the equation and I get f=4.26, or the T=1/f = 0.2346s. Is this right? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are mixing up L and D. In your first equation, D = length of rod, L = distance to center of mass, so L=D/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?