Did I get this right? Matrix system of a lens

In summary, the appropriate system matrix for a thin lens placed 2m after the beam waist with a focal length of 200mm is [[1-d/f, d] , [-1/f , 1]]. The free propagation should come before the lens in the matrix multiplication.
girlinphysics

Homework Statement

A thin lens is placed 2m after the beam waist. The lens has f = 200mm. Find the appropriate system matrix.

This is a past exam question I want to check I got right.

Homework Equations

For some straight section [[1 , d],[0 , 1]] and for a thin lens [[1 , 0],[-1/f , 1]]

The Attempt at a Solution

[[r2],[r2']] = [[1 , d],[0 , 1]] [[1 , 0],[-1/f , 1]] [[r1],[r1']]

I multiplied the two matrices and found [[1-d/f, d] , [-1/f , 1]]

Is this correct? Or am I meant to add an additional straight section after the lens? I get confused as to when to use the straight section matrix. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
girlinphysics said:
[[1 , d],[0 , 1]] [[1 , 0],[-1/f , 1]] [[r1],[r1']]
You made a mistake here. The free propagation should come first, then followed by the lens.

blue_leaf77 said:
You made a mistake here. The free propagation should come first, then followed by the lens.
Oh okay, thank you very much for your help!

1. What is the matrix system of a lens?

The matrix system of a lens is a mathematical representation used to describe the optical properties of a lens. It includes parameters such as focal length, lens power, and lens thickness, and is used to calculate the behavior of light as it passes through the lens.

2. How does the matrix system work?

The matrix system works by using a set of equations to describe the behavior of light as it passes through a lens. These equations take into account the physical properties of the lens, such as its shape and material, and use them to calculate how the light will be refracted.

3. Why is the matrix system important for lenses?

The matrix system is important for lenses because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict and control the behavior of light passing through a lens. This is essential for designing and manufacturing lenses for various applications, such as cameras, microscopes, and eyeglasses.

4. Can the matrix system be applied to all types of lenses?

Yes, the matrix system can be applied to all types of lenses, including simple lenses, compound lenses, and complex lenses. It is a versatile mathematical model that can be adapted to describe the behavior of light in various types of lenses.

5. How is the matrix system used in the design of lenses?

The matrix system is used in the design of lenses by allowing engineers to simulate and optimize the optical properties of a lens before it is manufactured. This helps to ensure that the lens will meet the desired specifications and perform as expected in its intended application.