Troubleshooting My 555 Circuit: What Happened and How Can I Fix It?

• Thread starter LordVader88
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's first time working with a 555 circuit and their experimentation with different capacitors and resistors. They accidentally put a 33kΩ resistor in the wrong place and now the circuit is not working. They are advised to replace the IC and consider using 741 circuits instead.
LordVader88
Did I just fry my IC555 ?

Hi, 1st time poster, long time student/hobbiest of math, physics, most sciences. Just getting serious about electronics lately so I made my 1st 555 circuit ever

I made this blinker , it's a short vid with a very simple schematic in it, he draws it as he goes towards the end. I'm using 5V from an old printer PSU, I used 2 series of 2x 4.7kΩ, the circuit only uses "capacitance" in one place.

I had it working fine and I was trying different capacitors and series/parallel caps.

Then I put a 33kΩ between the neg side of the single cap and pin 1 of the 555 (should of had it before the cap to make a little RC series), and it blocked the current almost completely.

So I took it out and now the circuit won't blink anymore. If I place a short where the cap goes (between pin 1 and 2) the LED lights up and says on. But if I use a cap, the LED lights up for the correct amount of time, but never comes back on. Then if I reverse the cap (not ideal I know), the LED will light up for the correct time.

So I can get the LED to light for the right time, but it never comes back on.

The resistors all still measure correctly, so what happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Replace the IC. If the new one works where the old one wouldn't, I leave you to draw your own conclusions ... :wink:

only 1 I had, I made another 555 circuit and it doesn't work right either

So I'll have to make some 741 circuits, at least I have a few of them

1. How do I know if I just fried my IC555?

The most common sign that your IC555 is fried is that it will stop functioning properly or completely. It may also emit smoke or a burning smell.

2. What can cause an IC555 to fry?

The most common cause of an IC555 frying is excessive voltage or current. This can be due to wiring errors, using incorrect power supply, or short-circuits.

3. Can I fix a fried IC555?

In most cases, a fried IC555 cannot be fixed and will need to be replaced. However, if the damage is minor, it may be possible to repair it by replacing the damaged components.

4. How can I prevent my IC555 from frying?

To prevent your IC555 from frying, make sure to double-check your wiring before powering it on. Use the correct power supply and avoid short-circuits. You can also add protective components, such as diodes, to prevent damage from voltage spikes.

5. Is it worth using a IC555 protector to prevent frying?

Using an IC555 protector, such as a voltage regulator or surge protector, can help prevent damage to your IC555. It is worth investing in one if you want to ensure the longevity of your IC555 and the stability of your circuits.