Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did i screw up

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    ok, I installed gentoo from a livecd and because I had to go somewhere and had to turn off the computer, i just downloaded all the sources using emerge --fetchonly --emptytree system and then turned off the computer so I could come back later and emerge/compile the system. Should I have waited till everything was over and then rebooted or shut down or is it still going to work?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

No, it doesn't really matter. Just boot from the livecd again, chroot to the root partition and continue what you were doing before.

4. Oct 8, 2005 #3
    Dude, Emerging takes so long you should have left the computer on when you left.

5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    ok, thanks. I was dreading going back and starting all over again.

yeah, but there were people capable of turning off the computer unknowingly or intentionally (idiots) in the room. :p

6. Oct 9, 2005 #5
    ummm... this is kind of stupid, no, it is stupid, but how do you chroot back to the root partition?

I just booted the livecd and typed in cd / and then emerge --emptytree system, but it gave an error message saying emerge doesn't work and /bin/bash doesn't exist or something.

7. Oct 9, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?