Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Did I see Venus?

1. Feb 20, 2017 #1
    I live in a light polluted area, and the last few weeks I have been walking down my street to see one very bright point of light. Other than the moon, it was the only astronomical object I could see with the naked eye, as well as occasionally a few fainter points. I was wondering what this was, so I looked on a website to see where the objects are in the sky from where I live, and Venus was at that exact point.

Was I looking at Venus? I thought it couldn't be since it seemed to stay in exactly the same position in the sky for at least 5 or 6 weeks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2017 #2

Borg

Gold Member

4. Feb 20, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the website. It was (approximately) 10 to 20 degrees to the West from the full moon in January, and about the same number of degrees to the South.

5. Feb 20, 2017 #4
  6. Feb 20, 2017 #5
    Another cool software you can check to confirm it: Stellarium , its free, open source, and works in windows, mac and linux.

You can set your location, time, adjust light pollution... really useful =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted