Did I skip a major step in this proof? + Theory of this proof

In summary, the problem is to verify (v), that is for some x and y in R, we have (-x)(-y) = xy. The Attempt at a Solution shows that (-x)(-y) = xy and the Result shows that 1 = -1(-1 + 0).
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2285/unledxig.png

The problem is to verify (v), that is for some x and y in R, we have (-x)(-y) = xy

The Attempt at a Solution

(-x)(-y) = (-1)x * (-1)y by Prop 2.7 iv

= x*(-1) * (-1)y by M2
= x*(-1*-1) * y by M1
= x*(+1)*y
= xy

Q.E.D

Not sure if I did it right.

Now I am going to throw in another question.

My prof did a lot of proofs in class in the similar manner as me (except for being wrong...). The thing is that they all look so silly. Like why do I have to go throw all this trouble just to show that (-1)(-1) = +1? That took like 4 lines. This is like math made unnecessarily hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually wait, I didn't need 4 lines at alll...

(-x)(-y) = (-1)x(-1)y By Prop.2.7 iv

=(-1)(-1)xy byM2

= 1 * xy By M3

= xy

Q.E.D.

Any comment is fine...

Couldnt agree with you more that this is math made unnecessarily hard, but I think you have to show -1*-1=1

Punkyc7 said:
Couldnt agree with you more that this is math made unnecessarily hard, but I think you have to show -1*-1=1

Yeah I took that for granted...

I don't know how to do that

1= 1+0= ?

does that help

Punkyc7 said:
1= 1+0= ?

does that help

1 = 1 + 0 = 1 + 1 - 1?

But this is addition.

yes...but you can distribute a -1 by prop 4 and m4D

Punkyc7 said:
yes...but you can distribute a -1 by prop 4 and m4D

I have one -1 though

pull out a negative one

punkyc7 said:
pull out a negative one

-1(-1 - 1 + 1)

now what do you notice...

1 = 1 + 0 = 1 + 1 - 1 = -1(-1 - 1 + 1)

1 = -1(-1 + 0)
1 = -1(-1)

Is that it? Because this seem really really unnecessary...

yep... that is it, and I could not agree more, but pure math people seem to love this kind of stuff because now they now for sure that -1*-1=1 and they are not relying on what others have said before

How do I include that in my original proof?

Assume (-x)(-y) = xy

Conditions [ =(-x)(-y) = (-1)x * (-1)y by Prop 2.7 iv
= x*(-1) * (-1)y by M2
= x*(-1*-1) * y by M1
= stuck here. How do I introduce 1 = 1 + 0 unawkwardly?]

Result [...]

Q.E.D

just call it a lemma and put it before the proof.. of course if you have proven it before you do not need to include but I am guessing you havent.

lemma 1 = -1(-1)

pf/
1 = 1 + 0 = 1 + 1 - 1 = -1(-1 - 1 + 1)

1 = -1(-1 + 0)
1 = -1(-1)

pf/
(-x)(-y) = (-1)x * (-1)y by Prop 2.7 iv

= x*(-1) * (-1)y by M2
= x*(-1*-1) * y by M1
= x*(+1)*y
= xy

Q.E.D

Lemma: (-1)(-1) = 1 or do I have to write out that whole step we did...?

All the step. Or how is someone who is reading your proof going to know that -1*-1=1 if it hasnt been shown to them.

Punkyc7 said:
All the step. Or how is someone who is reading your proof going to know that -1*-1=1 if it hasnt been shown to them.

But I thought Lemma was the results, not the proof. Isn't it just showing the results that you should believe in?

you can't believe in anything anymore it must be proven to be true.

Lemma: (-1)(-1) = 1

1 = 1 + 0 = 1 + 1 - 1 = -1(-1 - 1 + 1) = -1(-1 + 0) = (-1)(-1)

Proof: (-x)(-y) = xy= x*(-1) * (-1)y by M2
= x*(-1*-1) * y by M1
= x*(+1)*y
= xy

Q.E.D

Did I need to include "by ..." in my Lemma? Why is it that I didn't need to show that 1 - 1 = 0?

That looks good, I don't think you need to include the by lemma but if you want to be extra clear you can put it in, also you don't need to because of field properties

1. Did I skip a major step in this proof?

This is a common question that arises when reviewing a mathematical or scientific proof. To ensure the validity of your proof, it is important to carefully and thoroughly check each step and make sure they logically follow each other. If you are unsure about a particular step, you can consult with other experts in the field or review similar proofs for guidance.

2. What is the theory behind this proof?

Understanding the theory behind a proof is crucial in order to fully grasp its significance and applicability. It is important to have a strong foundation in the relevant mathematical or scientific concepts and theories in order to effectively construct and analyze a proof. If you are struggling with the theory behind a proof, it may be helpful to consult with a mentor or refer to textbooks and other resources.

3. How can I improve this proof?

Constructing a proof is a complex and iterative process, and it is not uncommon for initial versions to have flaws or gaps. It is always a good idea to continuously seek to improve upon your proof, whether it be through incorporating feedback from others or revisiting it with a fresh perspective. Keeping an open mind and being willing to make revisions will help you to create a more robust and convincing proof.

4. Can this proof be applied to other problems?

One of the goals of constructing a proof is to demonstrate the general applicability of a theory or concept. Therefore, it is natural to wonder if a proof can be applied to other problems or scenarios. To determine this, it is important to carefully examine the assumptions and limitations of the proof and see if they can be extended to other situations. This can also be done by consulting with other experts in the field.

5. How can I present this proof effectively?

Presenting a proof in a clear and concise manner is essential in communicating its significance and validity. It is important to organize the proof in a logical manner, clearly label and explain each step, and use visuals or diagrams when appropriate. Additionally, it is important to consider your audience and present the proof in a way that is accessible and understandable to them.