Did i solve this equation for temperature right?

• Thread starter livblue23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, to solve for temperature in this equation, P= (0.4887 psi/*c)T + 13.80 psi, you would first rearrange the equation so that T is isolated on one side. This can be done by subtracting 13.80 psi from both sides, leaving (0.4887 psi/*c)T on the other side. This can then be divided by (0.4887 psi/*c) to get the value of T.
livblue23

Homework Statement

How would i solve this equation for temperature?
P= (0.4887 psi/*c)T + 13.80 psi.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

to solve for temperature would i divide p like this?
T= 0.4887psi/*c + 13.80psi/P
?

I know it's a simple problem, i just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi livblue23! :smile:
livblue23 said:
How would i solve this equation for temperature?
P= (0.4887 psi/*c)T + 13.80 psi.

to solve for temperature would i divide p like this?
T= 0.4887psi/*c + 13.80psi/P

Nooo …

always start by shoving everything around so that T is the only thing on one side:

P - 13.80 psi = (0.4887 psi/*c)T

and then … ? :smile:

I cannot confirm if you have solved the equation correctly without seeing your work and knowing the context of the problem. However, based on the equation provided, it appears that you have correctly solved for temperature by dividing both sides by the coefficient of T. However, it is important to double check your work and ensure that the units are consistent. For example, in the equation you provided, the units for pressure are in psi and the units for temperature are in *C, so make sure to convert them to the same unit before solving. Additionally, it is always helpful to show your work and explain your steps to ensure accuracy and understanding.

1. How do I know if I solved the equation for temperature correctly?

To determine if you solved the equation for temperature correctly, you can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can compare your answer to a known or expected value, if available.

2. What are some common mistakes when solving equations for temperature?

Some common mistakes when solving equations for temperature include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong equation for the given scenario, or making calculation errors. It is important to carefully check each step and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

3. Is there a specific order for solving equations for temperature?

Yes, there is a specific order for solving equations for temperature. You should first isolate the variable you are solving for (in this case, temperature) on one side of the equation, and then use appropriate mathematical operations to solve for the variable.

4. Can I use different units when solving equations for temperature?

No, it is important to use consistent units when solving equations for temperature. If the equation requires temperature to be in Celsius, for example, all other values should also be in Celsius. If necessary, you can convert units before plugging them into the equation.

5. What if my answer for temperature is negative?

If your answer for temperature is negative, it may indicate an error in your calculation or that the given equation is not applicable to the scenario. Double-check your work and ensure you are using the correct equation for the given situation. If the negative temperature is a valid result, make sure to indicate the direction of the temperature (e.g. negative temperature may indicate a decrease in temperature).