Equation for Solving v: Steps, Tips & Results | Did I Solve it Right?

• Thread starter ektrules
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved discussing an equation and attempting to solve for the variable v. The process involved rearranging the equation and using algebraic techniques, and the final result for v was provided. The individual was unsure of the accuracy of the result and mentioned not being familiar with trigonometric functions. However, it was noted that solving for v does not require knowledge of trigonometry.
ektrules
Here's the equation.
[tex]\frac{mv^{2}}{r}=\frac{mg+C_{a}v^{2}cos\vartheta}{cos\vartheta-\mu sin\vartheta}\left(\mu cos\vartheta+sin\theta\right)-C_{a}v^{2}sin\vartheta[/tex]
After trying to solve for v, I got this:
[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{mg\mu cos\vartheta+mg sin\vartheta}{-2\mu C_{a}cos\vartheta-2\mu C_{a}sin\vartheta+\frac{mcos\vartheta-\mu msin\vartheta}{r}}}[/tex]
I'm not sure if this is correct though. I never took trig, so all the sin's and cos's confuse me, and I'm not exactly sure how to perform algebra on them.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked your result. However, solving for v doesn't require knowing trig. Just put all the v2 on one side of the equation, and put all the other terms on the other side. Then divide by the coefficent of v2 and take the square root.

1. Did I use the correct formula?

This is a common question when solving scientific problems. To ensure the accuracy of your solution, make sure you are using the correct formula for the specific problem you are solving. Double-check your work and consult with other sources if needed.

2. Did I input the right values?

Another important aspect of solving scientific problems is using the correct values in your calculations. Make sure you are using accurate and precise values to get an accurate solution.

3. Did I consider all factors?

Sometimes, scientific problems can involve multiple variables and factors. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors in your solution to ensure its accuracy and completeness.

4. Did I show all of my work?

In science, it is important to show your work and provide detailed explanations for your calculations. This not only helps you understand the problem better, but it also allows others to review and verify your work.

5. Did I check my answer?

Before submitting your solution, it is crucial to double-check your answer to ensure it is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem. This can help catch any mistakes or errors in your calculations.