Did I work this problem correctly?

• Thread starter bedizzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the mass of the container filled with liquid mercury is 244.0 g and the mass of the empty container is 110.2 g. The volume of the container is 9.877 mL and the density of the second liquid is 4.8x10 g/mL.
bedizzy
Question:

The mass of a container filled with liquid mercury is 244.0 g, and the mass of the empty container is 110.2 g

a. What is the volume of the container? (density of mercury = 13.546 g/ml)

b. The same container is filled with a second liquid, and the mass of the filled container is 114.9 g. What is the density of the second liquid?

My answers:

a)

244.0 g - 110.2 g = 133.8 g
133.8 g/(13.546 g/mL) = 9.877 mL

b)

114.9 g - 110.2 g = 4.7 g
4.7 g/9.877 mL = 4.8x10 g/mL

Does that look right? if not where did I go wrong?

I appreciate the help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi bedizzy! Welcome to PF! :smile:
bedizzy said:
Question:

The mass of a container filled with liquid mercury is 244.0 g, and the mass of the empty container is 110.2 g

a. What is the volume of the container? (density of mercury = 13.546 g/ml)

b. The same container is filled with a second liquid, and the mass of the filled container is 114.9 g. What is the density of the second liquid?

My answers:

a) 244.0 g - 110.2 g = 133.8 g
133.8 g/(13.546 g/mL) = 9.877 mL

b)114.9 g - 110.2 g = 4.7 g
4.7 g/9.877 mL = 4.8x10 g/mL

Does that look right? if not where did I go wrong?

Looks fine to me! :biggrin:

thanks tim... just wanted to check that one...

you'll probably be seeing more of me in the coming semesters :biggrin:

1. What is the best way to check if I worked a problem correctly?

The best way to check if you worked a problem correctly is to go through each step of your solution and compare it to the correct answer. Make sure you followed all of the necessary rules and formulas, and check your work for any careless mistakes.

2. How do I know if my answer is correct?

You can use the answer key or solution provided by your teacher or textbook to compare your answer to the correct one. If your answer matches, then it is likely that you worked the problem correctly. If your answer is different, you will need to go back through your work and see where you made a mistake.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my work?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your work, but it is important to remember that calculators can sometimes make mistakes. Therefore, it is always best to double check your work by hand as well.

4. What should I do if I am still not sure if I worked the problem correctly?

If you are still unsure if you worked the problem correctly, you can ask a friend or classmate to check your work or seek help from a teacher or tutor. You can also try working the problem again using a different method to see if you get the same answer.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. It is also helpful to review and understand the steps and concepts involved in solving a problem rather than just focusing on the answer. Additionally, you can try working on more challenging problems and learning new problem-solving techniques.