Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did it hurt ?

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...when they kicked you out of heaven?

I wonder if the girls here prefer this version or the traditional one. Personally, I find the heaven crowd a little too cliquey.

And those wings must be murder on your back...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    Unless you want to join your friend Josh in dancing alone, Id drop any pickup lines like the plague.

5. Sep 24, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suppose "Hey baby I have a 1000 posts on physics forums" isn't recommended either!

6. Sep 25, 2007 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Indeed. Personally, I love pickup lines. There's something very poetic about them... not the lines themselves, but the way they try to balance true intention with ironic intention in just the right proportions to pique her interest.

Oh, you would, huh? Noted. How do you reel them in there, cyrus?

7. Sep 25, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Annoyingly it doesn't increase the post count if you post again in the same thread.

8. Sep 25, 2007 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Posts in GD do not count.

9. Sep 25, 2007 #8
    I thought the line was "Did it hurt when you fell from heaven." Not that I would know, I got that book "How to pick up girls" by Arnold Schwartzenegger.

10. Sep 25, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does it recommend you lift with your legs and not your back? :biggrin: Some of us are heavier than we look.

Hmm...y'know, now I'm wondering, does it make a difference who is delivering the cheesy pick-up line? In other words, if someone was very physically attractive, would the way he introduces himself make much difference, or is the way it's received based entirely on physical attraction? *runs off to write grant to recruit a group of "hot" men and a group of "geeks" (of the Josh kind) to deliver cheesy pick-up lines in a bar and see if the proportion of positive responses is higher when delivered by "hot" men compared with "geeks"*

I can add a second phase to the study where we then ask the women what stage of their menstrual cycle they're in when the guy asks to see if there's a correlation of proximity to ovulation and likelihood of laughing at a cheesy pick-up line rather than being creeped out by it.

Who wants to fund me? And more importantly, where do I find the hot men to participate in the study? :biggrin:

11. Sep 25, 2007 #10

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could go to the same group that funded this study. I can imagine how this study started: Two physiologists in a bar: "We definitely need to study that phenomenon scientifically." "What phenomenon?" "Bouncing breasts at 0900. Check it out."

12. Sep 25, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

This is really a pick up line?

I think all I ever did was introduce myself and either ask if I could join the lady, or if I knew the woman from class or some other ongoing social activity, ask if she would be interested in going out, or going for a coffee or lunch.

I don't ever remember 'picking up' a strange woman. As I recall, I usually knew the women I dated from periodic encounters at work or school (high school and university).

13. Sep 25, 2007 #12
    You could always go to a bar and use pick-up lines on your test subjects. Both hot men and geeks are susceptible to them. You might not be able to raise enough money for your experiment, but you would at least get a few drinks out of it.

14. Sep 25, 2007 #13
    I'm thinking, I'm thinking. Is it hot in here, or is it just you?

15. Sep 25, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Even better! Who cares about science as long as I can get free drinks? :biggrin:

That's really the problem with picking up women (or men) in bars. If they're complete strangers, you're going to pick up a whole lot of wrong people before you find even one that might be right. At least when you meet people through activities of some sort or another (classes, organizations, work, parties of mutual friends), you start out knowing you have at least ONE thing in common, which is better than nothing in common. You have to be quite the salesman to be able to convince a total stranger you're worth going out with in the 30 seconds between starting to talk to her and her telling you to get lost. Of course, if you're just both interested in hooking up for nothing more than a one-night stand with a stranger, then the approaching random strangers in a bar thing might work. Nobody with much self-respect would do that though.

16. Sep 25, 2007 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This never worked:

"I'm so very very very loooooonley!"

17. Sep 25, 2007 #16
    OK, I've done a study of my own. I live in a target rich environment, but being married, I had little choice in targets. Not discouraged, I forged ahead with the study. I delivered the following pick-up lines with the following results: (line: result)

Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?: got lucky.

Is it hot in here or is it just you?: got lucky.

If I told you you had a sexy body, would you hold it against me?: got lucky.

I'm looking for my friend. Do you want to be my friend?: got lucky.

What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?: got lucky.

What do you think of the current state of affairs in the Mid-east?: got lucky.

Wanna do it?: got lucky.

Belch, fart, and yawn: got lucky.

Is that a gray hair I see there?: slept on couch.

My conclusion is that women are pretty easy, but not a slam dunk.

18. Sep 25, 2007 #17

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If I went to a bar, it was usually a social occasion with friends.

In fact, I had a number of lady friends with whom I would do things, either individually or in a group. I enjoyed their company, so I was never interested in going out and picking up women.

It would never have occurred to me to go out and find a woman for a one-nighter, and certainly not a stranger, although probably most of my males friends would do just that.

All of my relationships with woman were platonic, except for the last two which got serious. I married the woman in the latter of those two. Actually my wife and I started out as casual acquaintances, become friends, then started dating and then got engaged - all within 10 months.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  19. Sep 25, 2007 #18

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the traditional version I was referring to.

I'm really enjoying the responses to this, btw. So many personalities. :biggrin:

20. Sep 25, 2007 #19

Mk

If you do those right, then it can be cute/flattering and a humorous and fun first impression.

21. Sep 25, 2007 #20
    Whoops, so 'tis. Here's one from Groucho, pick-up artist extraordinaire:

Ever since I met you, I've swept you off my feet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?