Analyzing the Staged Joke on Jimmy Kimmel's Show

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary, Jimmy Kimmel's appearance at ABC's upfronts was a roast of the network and advertisers, featuring a staged encounter with Matt Damon. Kimmel is known for his entertaining and boundary-pushing style, and as long as he remains popular and profitable for the studio, they are willing to overlook any perceived insults. Additionally, Kimmel has gained a following for his comedic videos featuring celebrity guests such as Ben Affleck and Matt Damon.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the context, and if he was supposed to be sort of roasting the network and advertisers there...that's what it sounded like, a roast. I like Kimmel's show, but don't usually stay awake late enough to watch it anymore. Then again, I'm not sure I've been as impressed with him since he moved from NY to CA and turned orange (the first thing he must have done upon arriving in CA was to pour on the fake tan stuff...he literally looked orange for a few weeks after that move, unless it was just the color on my TV).

Lol... apparently he has no problem pissing "important" people off.

I like that one Ape.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Lol... apparently he has no problem pissing "important" people off.

Hehe!

That took some balls!

Matt Damon looked so angry. He must have had something really important to say. As long as Kimmel promotes whatever project Damon was working on what difference does it make? Dude's a good actor and I like his movies, but he needs to calm down.

Kimmel's goal is to entertain his audience. He doesn't care about pleasing his guests or his employers. He does cross the line of what is necessary, but that is entertainment in itself. As long as he is popular and not getting the studio into legal conflicts he is making them money. Hopefully ABC will recognize that and not get all bent out of shape over perceived insults.

I just looked up the Matt Damon thing. It was apparently staged. Damon did a good job of looking pissed off.

Really?

Ok, that does seem more likely. There is a video online that Jimmy made that features a celebrity 'We Are The World' type cast. In it Jimmy's girlfriend Sarah Silverman is cheating on him with Matt Damon. Jimmy makes a video in response where he is cheating on her with Ben Afflek. Brad Pitt delivers a cake and then everyone starts singing. Robin Williams, Harrison Ford, Don Cheadle, Cameron Diaz, and a ton of other actors and musicians are involved. The title of the video is 'I'm F****** Ben Afflek'. So yeah, I can totally believe that the Matt Damon appearance was staged.

I'm starting to like this Kimmel guy.

Yes, it was a staged joke. Actually, if you pay attention closely, you'll notice that they even repeated some of the clips of Kimmel "running out of time" to talk to Damon, just to make it seem like it happened more than it had.

1. What exactly did Kimmel do?

Kimmel is a television host and comedian, so he has done many things on his show and in his career. It would be helpful to clarify which specific event or action you are referring to.

2. Was Kimmel's action planned or spontaneous?

This would depend on the specific event or action in question. Kimmel is known for incorporating both planned and spontaneous elements into his shows.

3. Did anyone see Kimmel's action live or on TV?

Again, this would depend on the specific event or action. Kimmel's show is typically broadcast live, but clips and highlights may also be available on TV or online after the fact.

4. What was the reaction to Kimmel's action?

This would vary depending on who you are asking and their personal opinions and perspectives. Some people may have found it funny, while others may have found it offensive or inappropriate.

5. Is there any significance or meaning behind Kimmel's action?

It would be difficult to determine the significance or meaning without more context or information about the action in question. Kimmel often uses his platform to make statements or commentary, so there may be a deeper meaning behind some of his actions.