Obama's Controversial Gesture Towards Clinton: A Political Analysis

• News
  • Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
In summary: Nobel prizes...aren't the people who are yelling the loudest or throwing the most temper tantrums, but the ones who are quietly going about their work and making a real difference. In summary, this primary is the greatist thing that could happen to the Republican party. It might even get one elected.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Looks like it to me! This primary is the greatist thing that could happen to the Republican party. It might even get one elected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhkq11UExcw"

He looks so presidential there, don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chemisttree said:
Looks like it to me! This primary is the greatist thing that could happen to the Republican party. It might even get one elected.

If someone is going to vote McCain over this petty nonsense then that person is pretty stupid to begin with.

Surely not!

LightbulbSun said:
If someone is going to vote McCain over this petty nonsense then that person is pretty stupid to begin with.

Erm... are you aware who got voted in at the last election?

LightbulbSun said:

I don't know...do you want someone who is petty and childish leading the country? When the campaigns started, I thought we had some great choices between Hillary and Barack, but having watched them degrade into kindergarten level antics, I am seriously doubting either of them has the level of maturity I expect in a candidate. McCain is taking the high road. I watched an interview with him where the reporters were trying to practically back him into a corner to get him to say Obama was elitist after his "bitter" remarks, and after McCain tried to sidestep the question a few times, came right out and told them basically that he wasn't going to stoop to the level the media wanted and he was going to run a respectful campaign. Besides, they've been so busy bickering over petty nonsense that neither is telling us what they actually plan to do if elected.

is it newsworthy if someone gets flipped off in the usa?

Moonbear said:
I don't know...do you want someone who is petty and childish leading the country? When the campaigns started, I thought we had some great choices between Hillary and Barack, but having watched them degrade into kindergarten level antics, I am seriously doubting either of them has the level of maturity I expect in a candidate. McCain is taking the high road. I watched an interview with him where the reporters were trying to practically back him into a corner to get him to say Obama was elitist after his "bitter" remarks, and after McCain tried to sidestep the question a few times, came right out and told them basically that he wasn't going to stoop to the level the media wanted and he was going to run a respectful campaign. Besides, they've been so busy bickering over petty nonsense that neither is telling us what they actually plan to do if elected.

So Obama was being childish when exactly? When he said he wouldn't stoop to negative campaign tactics? When he didn't whine ever? When he didn't play the race card? Or what?

Poop-Loops said:
So Obama was being childish when exactly? When he said he wouldn't stoop to negative campaign tactics? When he didn't whine ever? When he didn't play the race card? Or what?

When he did all of those...stooped to negative campaign tactics, whined, and played the race card, plus flipping off his opponent. And, I have YET to hear from him what he actually plans to do as part of this "change" thing. He talks a big game, but I haven't seen any substance to back it up...no change there, just more of the same (worse, the few things I've heard him "promise" have been phrased in a way that have not promised anything...you could take it any way you wanted...clearly that's his strategy). At least I've heard some specifics from Hillary on what she plans to do and HOW she plans to do it. Still, they've all stooped to the same old dirty campaign tricks that I'm sick and tired of. Frankly, I'm disappointed in the whole bunch of them. I just wish we could get a decent candidate to step up to the plate for a change, but they all got washed out early because apparently the backstabbing and bickering pulls in the campaign dollars...this is a presidential campaign, not the Jerry Springer Show.

I'd run, but I have better things to do.

- Warren

chroot said:
I'd run, but I have better things to do.

- Warren

That probably sums it up...anyone who would actually run for the office probably doesn't belong in it. (Was it Woody Allen who said "I don't want to be in any club that would have me as a member"...or something like that?)

Our university president came to our little neuroscience retreat this week, and he commented on something similar, that the people who are doing the best research and most deserve the funding are the ones least likely to brag about it and thus don't get it. For all the negative press he's gotten, he was pretty good about those things, pretty much telling folks to let him know what we're doing because it's HIS job to brag about it.

But, that's one of the problems with people running for president...the smart, humble, honest person isn't the one who's going to run for an office like that, it's the one who can schmooze, and talk about themselves, and play the dirty politics games, and still can look at themselves in the mirror in the morning who are going to throw their hats in the ring.

IMO, the President of the United States has one of the worst jobs imaginable. There's no way you'd ever interest me in it.

- Warren

chemisttree said:

I have to say, that's so completely inappropriate, I just lost all respect for him. What a stupid thing to do.

I don't know, I say if he had the balls to just man up and flip someone off on TV, then he's got my vote. None of this "Well some people can't wake up and answer the call at 3am because they were never married to a President!" BS. Just say it.

Poop-Loops said:
I don't know, I say if he had the balls to just man up and flip someone off on TV, then he's got my vote. None of this "Well some people can't wake up and answer the call at 3am because they were never married to a President!" BS. Just say it.
So, if he disagrees with the head of state of another country, he's just going to flip them off? Sorry, but that's not going to cut it. There is a lot of protocol and political maturity required of the Presidency, and he just blew it, big time. You can't give into whims of this nature.

Last edited:
Poop-Loops said:

How is sneaking the bird with a wipe of the nose like a teenager hiding it from his parents "manning up"? Sorry, but it's horribly immature, not adult behavior at all. The position of president requires diplomacy not childish antics. The reaction of the audience and his own snickers right after doing it suggest to me that it really was intentional, and not just an innocent scratching of an itch caught on tape and spun (if there was no sound to go with it, I might have assumed differently, or at least remained neutral on my opinion).

The whole contest has turned into petty bickering.

Moonbear said:
The reaction of the audience and his own snickers right after doing it suggest to me that it really was intentional, and not just an innocent scratching of an itch caught on tape and spun

Then that settles it. He gets my vote!

Moonbear said:

But, that's one of the problems with people running for president...the smart, humble, honest person isn't the one who's going to run for an office like that, it's the one who can schmooze, and talk about themselves, and play the dirty politics games, and still can look at themselves in the mirror in the morning who are going to throw their hats in the ring.

Well, yeah, just look at how you're reacting to this non-issue. You're making a big deal out of a tiny thing. That's the reason "smart, humble, honest" people don't run for president; American presidential candidates are scrutinized to the core and criticized under every aspect of their personality.

I don't see anything wrong with how Obama acted. He's a bit of a joker; nothing to get upset about. I prefer this to McCain's stiff and unflinching personality.

Werg22 said:
Well, yeah, just look at how you're reacting to this non-issue. You're making a big deal out of a tiny thing. That's the reason "smart, humble, honest" people don't run for president; American presidential candidates are scrutinized to the core and criticized under every aspect of their personality.

I don't see anything wrong with how Obama acted. He's a bit of a joker; nothing to get upset about. I prefer this to McCain's stiff and unflinching personality.
It's not how you "personally" feel about it, it's how this behavior would be tolerated around the world. When I went to Thailand I was warned not to tap someone on the shoulder and while sitting to make sure that my feet weren't accidently pointed toward anyone. Major insults in their culture.

If he can't control himself in our own culture, he can not be allowed to assume something as politically sensitive as President. If you do not realize how important this trait is in a President, do you think you understand world politics enough to vote at this level?

chemisttree said:

Flipped her? Are you being serious?

Evo said:
It's not how you "personally" feel about it, it's how this behavior would be tolerated around the world. When I went to Thailand I was warned not to tap someone on the shoulder and while sitting to make sure that my feet weren't accidently pointed toward anyone. Major insults in their culture.

If he can't control himself in our own culture, he can not be allowed to assume something as politically sensitive as President. If you do not realize how important this trait is in a President, do you think you understand world politics enough to vote at this level?

I don't think that's a reasonable argument. There's a difference of context between giving a speech to a small crowd in a town hall and dealing with international issues. I think all we're really seeing is Obama stepping up his aggressiveness a little, and that's necessary when the opponent doesn't back from cheap shots and flagrant lies if it means winning.

Gokul43201 said:
Flipped her? Are you being serious?
Did you watch the video? It was pretty bad. A mistake I am sure is going to hurt him. If he hadn't laughed after it, it wouldn't have been so bad. He would have had an out, but it is clear it was intentional and he was amused it was picked up. I was sure the title was exagerating, but yikes. Do you see that video differently?

Werg22 said:
I don't think that's a reasonable argument. There's a difference of context between giving a speech to a small crowd in a town hall and dealing with international issues. I think all we're really seeing is Obama stepping up his aggressiveness a little, and that's necessary when the opponent doesn't back from cheap shots and flagrant lies if it means winning.
When you are running for President, there is no difference. *ALL* of your actions must be appropriate.

Edit: I thought people here were referring to how he pretended to dirt off his shoulders. I didn't know you guys meant flip off in the true sense of the expression. :|

All this because he scratched his cheek with the wrong finger?

You got to be kidding me.

Last edited:
Werg22 said:

Nothing today is given to a "small crowd" anymore. Everything is videotaped and televised. AND, he already knows this from being caught out on his other "bitter" comments, no matter how he tries to explain it after the fact. He was trying to play one audience against another, but seems to be forgetting everyone is watching. These are exactly the same sorts of flubs that people dismissed when Bush was running for office, and now we see how they were only the tip of the iceberg of what a bumbling fool he can be.

If he wants to joke around with his "in" crowd, fine, just don't expect anyone to think that makes us feel he's a good representative of the entire country.

I'm waiting to see what happens after the Democratic convention and there's finally a candidate chosen and their bickering isn't the highlight of the news. Right now, this is giving McCain a pretty big advantage...he can sit quietly out of the way and avoid scrutiny while watching Obama and Hillary have their cat fights. McCain comes out smelling like roses by comparison. I'm really curious to see what will happen when he no longer has that luxury and the attacks are turned his way...will he attack back or will he continue to take the higher ground he claims to take?

And, yes, this pettiness is an issue for me...I don't want a president that is petty and childish, I want one who is mature, diplomatic, and can stand above this pettiness rather than joining in.

If I haden't done the exact same thing to someone a few weeks back..well yea, that itch with the middle finger IS flipping someone off. His whole attitude, along with his words, makes that very clear.

hypatia said:
If I haden't done the exact same thing to someone a few weeks back..well yea, that itch with the middle finger IS flipping someone off. His whole attitude, along with his words, makes that very clear.

Are you serious? Do you actually think someone who is running for president would risk his entire campaign by flipping his opponent off?

Not to be sexist, but there's a strange pattern in this thread.

Evo said:

I think the major insult to their culture is assuming that they are so stupid that they won't notice you are a tourist or even a foreigner and just not give you any leeway about it.

When you see a foreigner, do you treat him or her by the same rules you would treat a native-born 'Mercan? No, you know they are probably not up-to-speed on our culture, so you tend to be helpful, right? If they do something stupid like try to kiss your friends that they just met, you'd tell them that it's not appropriate in our culture instead of going off on how mean he is, right?

Well guess what? Other people aren't that different. They can tell these things, too.

You can't be serious. People make goofs from all countries towards all other countries. It's called being human. You will NEVER have a human as President who doesn't make a goof in public or doesn't

Moreover, like it's been pointed out, there's a difference between making a joke among your supporters against a rival who has been a lying jerk the whole time and flipping off a foreign diplomat who you desperately need to suck up to.

By the way, is laughing at this appropriate?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WLQGWpRVA7o

No, but I won't hold it against him because he's human. He shouldn't have done it, but it happens. I'm much more worried about him saying "ME DON'T KNOW ECONOMY! OH NOES!" than laughing at a profanity. Yeah, like you've never laughed at something like that before.

Evo said:
Did you watch the video? It was pretty bad. A mistake I am sure is going to hurt him. If he hadn't laughed after it, it wouldn't have been so bad. He would have had an out, but it is clear it was intentional and he was amused it was picked up. I was sure the title was exagerating, but yikes. Do you see that video differently?
I saw the video - he scratched his cheek. People started cheering when he said Clinton was in her element. Looked to me like that was the joke that he and everyone out there was laughing about - it's what I grinned at too, when I first watched the video of the speech. Besides, the cheering began even before he scratched his cheek.

Gokul43201 said:
I saw the video - he scratched his cheek. People started cheering when he said Clinton was in her element. Looked to me like that was the joke that he and everyone out there was laughing about - it's what I grinned at too, when I first watched the video of the speech. Besides, the cheering began even before he scratched his cheek.
The hoots are right at 19 when he lifts his middle finger.

I am just so disappointed right now.

Is this going to be a choice of who's worse for the country or who will alienate the world more?

Last edited:
The hoots begin about half a second before the finger appears. When I watched the speech - which was a lot longer than the 30 second clip linked here - I grinned at the remark too. And I didn't notice the finger. If you've watched Obama's speeches, you'll notice that he scratches his face quite a lot. In this same speech he scratched his face thrice with 3 different fingers in a span of 3 minutes. And he was laughing and having fun the whole time during the speech, not just after the middle finger scratch.

I hope you've watched more than just the clip linked in this thread.

Gokul43201 said:
The hoots begin about half a second before the finger appears. When I watched the speech - which was a lot longer than the 30 second clip linked here - I grinned at the remark too. And I didn't notice the finger. If you've watched Obama's speeches, you'll notice that he scratches his face quite a lot. In this same speech he scratched his face thrice with 3 different fingers in a span of 3 minutes. And he was laughing and having fun the whole time during the speech, not just after the middle finger scratch.

I hope you've watched more than just the clip linked in this thread.
No, I haven't, so my bad if I missed something and this was taken out of context, thanks for bringing that up, I will have to look for the rest of the speech.

What the hell, who in the their right mind would actually believe this bull crap from the right wing media? No wonder the political mud swing never stop. It actually works, just look at the response to this thread.

If we really want to discuss profanity or inappropriate action from the candidates, why not start with something indisputable that actually happened? Such as:

... John McCain's temper is well documented. He's called opponents and colleagues "sh*theads," "*ssholes" and in at least one case "a f*cking jerk." ...

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/McCain_temper_boiled_over_in_92_0407.html

I don't see this as being anything but nonsense. He was scratching his cheek. Okay, from that angle it might have looked a bit like the bird, but his index finger was also extended. Now, this is a physics forum, so might assume that two fingers are approximately equal to one finger, but IMO we can't take this to be a 0th order problem.

Last edited:
Actually it's strange you should mention that, as my lifetime ambition - well apart from visiting every country in the world - is to flip the bird to every leader in the world. Kind of an ultimate expression of contempt for world politics. Childish, but hell something to tell the grand kids. :biggrin::wink:

Gokul43201 said:

Gokul, I have to say I agree. I don't think it was intentional, and I think it was just an inocent scratch!