Did someone construct one to the universe in modern times?

• Thread starter Speculatrix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the current accepted view of the universe is based on the Friedmann-LeMaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) cosmologies, which are determined by applying Einstein's field equation to the assumption that space is homogeneous and isotropic. This assumption has been supported by observations and greatly restricts the possible spatial geometries. The FLRW models suggest that space is very close to being flat, although a non-flat model can also be used if the curvature is small enough.
Speculatrix
I have a question. I'm not even sure that it makes sense or is a worthy question, so please bear with me.

Is there a geometry written for the current (accepted) view of the universe? It seems there must be a geometry that deals with curved space and other such features, but I have never heard of one. For a while people were just sort-of writing geometries--just making up systems that worked whether they had been seen or not, right? It seems crazy that someone could (or would) write one that worked for our universe without knowing its details. Did someone construct one to the universe in modern times? Or have we just never needed a complete geometry? It seems we must be using some geometry, but I don't know what it is.

Thanks for any insight. (I realize my question was probably worded badly and therefore partially incoherent.)

-Speculatrix

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are several, we don't jknow which is correct, but http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/universe_soccer_031008.html seems to show a lot of promise.

Last edited by a moderator:

People usually start by assuming that space is homogeneous and isotropic (i.e., its geometry looks the same at all places and in all directions). Of course this is not exactly true, but this "cosmological principle" has been borne out by observations as pertaining the average, large-scale structure of the universe. This greatly restricts the possible spatial geometries. When you apply Einstein's field equation to determine how the geometry will change with time, general relativity restricts the possible spacetime geometries even further. You end up with the Friedmann-LeMaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) cosmologies. Observations tell us that space is very close to being universally flat, so people usually use a flat FLRW model, although you can also use a non-flat one if you make the curvature sufficiently small.

1. Is there evidence that the universe was constructed by someone in modern times?

There is no scientific evidence that the universe was constructed by someone in modern times. The Big Bang theory, supported by various observations and experiments, explains the origin and development of the universe without the need for a creator.

2. If the universe wasn't created by someone in modern times, how did it come into existence?

The most widely accepted theory is the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly about 13.8 billion years ago. This theory is supported by various observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the expansion of the universe.

3. Can science prove or disprove the existence of a creator who constructed the universe?

No, science cannot prove or disprove the existence of a creator. Science deals with observable and testable phenomena, while the concept of a creator falls into the realm of faith and belief.

4. Are there any scientific theories or evidence that support the idea of a creator constructing the universe?

No, there are no scientific theories or evidence that support the idea of a creator constructing the universe. While some religious or philosophical beliefs may include a creator, these are not supported by scientific evidence.

5. If the universe wasn't created by someone in modern times, does that mean it has no purpose or meaning?

Science does not have the ability to determine the purpose or meaning of the universe. This is a philosophical and existential question that is open to individual interpretation and belief. Science focuses on understanding the physical nature of the universe, not its purpose or meaning.