Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Did the big bang create something from nothing?

1. Aug 29, 2017 #21
    I'm just speaking in science terms... that sounds a bit too philosophical for me. :bugeye:

2. Aug 29, 2017 #22

ISamson

Gold Member

Yeah, this is actually philosophy, not really science!

3. Aug 29, 2017 #23
    This is one of those things that's always busted my brain. If energy/matter cannot be created or destroyed, how'd it get here in the first place?

Please, anyone with a better understanding of QM than me (which is pretty much everyone on this forum), I'd love to know the answer to this. I've always seen it as sort of a physics paradox.

4. Aug 29, 2017 #24

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

See #14 for one answer. Conservation of energy and matter is not actually an applicable principle of physics.

Another answer is that your question appears to assume that time is endless both into the future and into the past. But that assumption is unfounded.

5. Aug 29, 2017 #25
    So this forum is not the right place to discuss it.

6. Aug 29, 2017 #26

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

By spacetime having a geometry in which timelike curves have a finite extent into the past. Currently physicists don't know for sure whether that feature of idealized models based on GR actually applies to our universe; but the models themselves are perfectly consistent, and answer the question you pose here.

This, as you say, is an assumption. But it is not a necessary assumption, as there are consistent models in which it does not hold. See above.

7. Aug 29, 2017 #27

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The OP question has been sufficiently addressed. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook