Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did they go bad?

1. Mar 20, 2009 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So I'm about to find out if a box of frozen [not precooked] chicken tenders thawed and went bad when I accidentally left them on my kitchen floor for 6 hours. How are my odds?

...Wish me luck!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They should be OK.

I've eaten meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish) that has sat out for about 72 hrs on a kitchen counter, so I think 6 hrs is not a problem.

4. Mar 20, 2009 #3
    Is ordering delivery an option?

Good luck.

5. Mar 20, 2009 #4
    Why would it go bad? 6 hours isnt long. It probably took at least two hours before they became room temp. Come on engineer...

6. Mar 20, 2009 #5

russ_watters

I'm an engineer, not a biologist. Actually, though, the box was still cool to the touch, so I wasn't too worried.
    Yikes, I accidentally let meat thaw on the counter overnight about half the time (meaning to leave it out for a couple of hours, then put it in the fridge) and never eat it after that. I've opened packages of chicken that really smelled after that much time.

7. Mar 20, 2009 #6
    The bacterial colonies begin to grow after T > 40 degrees F.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fssummer.html [Broken]

"The key is to never let your picnic food remain in the "Danger Zone" - between 40° F and 140° F - for more than 2 hours, or 1 hour if outdoor temperatures are above 90° F. This is when bacteria in food can multiply rapidly, and lead to foodborne illness."

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Mar 20, 2009 #7

Evo

Just think of what people ate before the days of refrigeration.

9. Mar 20, 2009 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Jeez, but you guys are wimps. We leave our left-overs out overnight all the time, and sometimes for a couple of days. Something frozen gets tossed into a sink of cold water for at least 8 hours to thaw it out enough for cooking.

10. Mar 20, 2009 #9
    Cough cough, you do thermal design. :wink:

How cold to you think those packages are when you get them at the grocery store sitting on the shelf all day long. There not nearly as cold as your freezer. There just a little below room temp. There just 'cool'.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  11. Mar 20, 2009 #10

russ_watters

Hmm...that last one didn't taste quite right.

12. Mar 20, 2009 #11

russ_watters

I should hope so - otherwise that "Frozen Food Section" has a serious false advertising issue! :tongue:

13. Mar 20, 2009 #12

russ_watters

Beef Jerky?
    I also still have all my original teeth - you should try teasing me for that too! :uhh:

14. Mar 20, 2009 #13

Danger

Gold Member

So do I, with the exception of 2 wisdom teeth that I got yarded out about 6 years ago, and half of a front one that succumbed to a misplaced hockey stick. :biggrin:

15. Mar 20, 2009 #14

turbo

Gold Member

You're safe, Russ. 6 hours at room temp to defrost is not excessive, considering the mass of the package and the fact that the interior (very cold, if not frozen) product was refrigerating the outer portions of the package. While thawing, the internal portions were drawing heat from the outer portions to supply the latent heat needed to make the phase-change from frozen to thawed.

16. Mar 20, 2009 #15
    How many engineers/chemists/physicsits does it take to thaw out a chicken.

Sorry mathematicians, you don't count....you integrate.

17. Mar 20, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

One. And two ER nurses and an overworked intern to counter the salmonella poisoning if the E/C/P really screws up.

18. Mar 20, 2009 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Or one of me with half a kilo of thermite...

19. Mar 20, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Won't the chicken be a *bit* over-done? And dispersed enough so that it would be hard to gather for consumption?

20. Mar 20, 2009 #19

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well my dad would slaughter a chicken just after church and mom would prepare (including cooking) so it would be ready for lunch after church. We lived next door to the church.

We made a lot of preservatives or picked directly from the garden.

Otherwise, before refrigeration, dried, dried/smoked, or dried/salted was the way to go.

21. Mar 20, 2009 #20

Danger

Gold Member

The trick is in the proper distribution of the thermite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook