Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Did Wald make a mistake here?

1. Jun 19, 2016 #1
    On page 97, Wald is computing the component ##G_{ii}## where ##1 \leq i \leq 3## of the Einstein tensor, assuming that the metric is given by ##g = -d\tau^2 + a^2(\tau)\big(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2)## where ##a## is the time evolution function. He writes:

##G_{ii} = R_{ii} - \frac{1}{2}R##. But if ##G_{ii} = R_{ii} - \frac{1}{2}R## then that must mean that ##g_{ii} = 1##, which isn't necessarily true, as ##g_{ii} = a^2(\tau)##. Did he make a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2016 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

In my copy he is calculating the projection of the Einstein tensor on a homogeneous hypersurface, using a unit (!) vector tangent ##s## to this hypersurface. That is something else than just calculating the spatial components! So instead of ##g_{ii}=1##, he obtains (in his notation) ##g_{**}=1##, which is the condition of unity ##g_{**} \equiv g_{ab}s^a s^b=1## defining this projection.

4. Jun 19, 2016 #3
    Thanks. I was being sloppy.

5. Jun 19, 2016 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

When you can choose between "I am sloppy" or "Wald was sloppy", my experience is that the first explanation is more trustworthy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted