Did you experience depression?

In summary, a student at ODTÜ can seek psychological help for depression. It is not shameful to seek such help, and it is worth it.
string_theory
Did you experience depresion?

Yes I did, and I do. I failed most of the courses, I can't work any more, I can't concentrate, I can't like life. I just love life for small irregular peiods and I hate myself. I hate most of the people.

I want to kill myself. When you see that I am not writing any more, just pray for me, most probably I will be in the other world :( :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
See a doctor, get on medication. If that fails, try not to take anybody with you into the "other world".

please recognize that you are loved more than you can understand! this love is a resource provided to you for these situations.

with assistance, there is nothing you can't overcome.

having been there, i offer all my healing energy and prayers.

love&peace,
olde drunk

string_theory said:

Yes I did, and I do. I failed most of the courses, I can't work any more, I can't concentrate, I can't like life. I just love life for small irregular peiods and I hate myself. I hate most of the people.

I want to kill myself. When you see that I am not writing any more, just pray for me, most probably I will be in the other world :( :cry:

Chronic depression is an inherited condition. Although it can be exasperated by environmental conditions, it is a genetic flaw in the neuro-transmitters for which a cure is currently being sought. End your pain, seek out medical attention immediately.

oh...heeeeeeeeeeelp
sos

I would recommend suicide as a last resort.

I will do it if things indefinitely continue to be depressing.

Bad_Boy_Blue,

Your last post is truly upsetting. For your own sake and the sake of others who care about you, please see a psychiatrist soon. Life does not have to be that way.

- Warren

Bad_Boy_Blue said:

From reading all your threads and posts, i think you really have some deep issues you need to work out with your self.

String, killing yourself would just end your life, and everything you've achieved, and when i say achieved, i don't mean academically, i mean what YOU have achieved in life. Suicide is the coward way out.

Likes gracy
Seeing a doctor is good advice. They can diagnose if the depression is clinical or not. Some people have an idea that if everyone eats Zoloft or Paxil then everyone will be happy. But a huge number of depressed people are depressed due to phycology, bad occurrences, personality etc. who have no chemical imbalance at all, at which point no SSRI could help.

*Don't start with a physciatrist; go to a regular counseler or doctor first. If they truly believe you need one they will refer you. The phyciatrist will prescribe you an anti-depressent pretty much no matter what after they talk to you for a whole two minutes! They'll maybe give you some free samples too after they charge you a hundred bucks, they work for the drug companies.

A word of caution to people who say that suicide is a coward's way out; please be wary of who you're saying it too. If someone has already had it with the rest of the world and everyone in it, this comment wouldn't help.

I have been suicidal, it happens to me periodically. It's a different mindset that isn't necessarily logical, but it sure is hell. You want out. Somehow you know you have to hang in there, and some force pulls you through.

string_theory said:
just pray for me
Done! I have never met you, but I do care. It seems like everyone pretty much just cares about themselves, I'm dealing with that right now. But there's always unlikly people who do care about others.

string_theory:

As someone who has also experienced depression, I assure you that medical treatment can help.

Is seeking help for "mental" problems considered shameful in your country? The answers here are mostly from Americans, and most Americans do not judge people badly for seeking such help. (I assume it is the same in Canada.)

If you have a chemical imbalance in your neural chemistry, then it is NOT your fault. It does not make you worse than other people. Seeking medical help is worth it.

Many of the suggestions above are based on the ways medical care is organized in the U.S. and may not be exactly the same in Turkey. From your profile, it appears you are a student at ODTÜ. According to their website there is psychological help available for students, but I can not read the details as they are in Turkish. I urge you to seek help. Don't give up!

Clinical depression is a very common problem, affecting more than 10% of all humans sometime in life. Since you have have several of the symptoms of clinical depression you should see a physician. A deep depression will respond poorly to psychotherapy and will need medication. Depressions have an excellent prognosis if treated, you will get better.

I suffer from on and off periods of depression, ranging from a feel of self loathing, down to a really deep hatred for my life and just about anything can make me cry or snap or go mental and trash my room. Lately I found that if I go out and try not to think of things, just constantly busying myself, then I don't suffer. I haven't been depressed in about a month or so now, so it has to be working.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:

thank you very much :cry:

I still stand by my opinion. In certain circumstances, suicide really is the best option. I don't think any psychiatrist can help someone who's had therapy and drug treatment (e.g. tricyclic antidepressants, SSRI's, SNRI's etc.) for years without any success.

Suicide isn't inherently evil or wrong, especially when it is simply ending misery. The ending of constant emotional pain can only be a good thing IMO. My family will get over the death a son they've already disowned within a day or so.

Depression always passes, it is most definitely temporary no matter how it may feel.

And as others have said depression is extremely common in modern times, there are literally millions of people who have gone through it. I don't mean to make light of depression, it sucks BAD, but your not alone. Definitely get some help, therapy can work miracles though I know it may not feel that way. Your depression will pass I guarantee it but definitely get yourself some help and hang in there.

Now what do you advice?
To go to the doctor or to take some medicals by myself?

What do you mean by taking 'medicals' by yourself?

Mazuz said:
Depression always passes, it is most definitely temporary no matter how it may feel.

Not always mate.

Bad_Boy_Blue said:
What do you mean by taking 'medicals' by yourself?

I do not want to go to the doctor. Just get some information from the internet or by somebody who gives assistance online and get the medicals...

And don't listen to bad boy blue. I have been both depressed and am currently in a class on depression. Suicide is very sad because depression is temporary. It is a state of suffering. Just like people who have been physically injured and don't want to live anymore, they get through it and you will too. But you need to seek help. I don't know anything about you except that you visit this forum and you like string theory and that all ready tells me you think differently than most people who don't come to forums like this, which is a great thing. I'm sure you have a lot to offer the world once you get back to being healthy, when the depression lifts you will be transformed. But seek help and don't be shy about your situation, depression isn't your fault it only makes you feel that way. You can go to your school and ask to see someone for help, that is what they are there for and they help people like you all the time.

I am really greatful for your good intentions. Thank you very much. But I do not want to cheat myself: I have nothing to give to this world, and even If I had sth. I wouldn't...
Thnk you once more, bother/sister

Go to the school counciler, you need to talk to a professional. It is a bad idea to just start messing with medications. If that is what you need you want to do it right and there is a methodology to it. And the world has something for you, but please seek help.. I can't make you but I know its what you need.

thanks my friend

Before sucess there must be failure. Sucess is not what the world recognizes of you but what you find of truth in yourself and around you. Depression is part of life, you must learn to balance your life. Before you try anything, walk run or jog, bike, karate, kung fu or something else daily. This will begin to balance your system. While you are doing these things try to think of nothing else. Focus on what you are doing and do just that. This will slowly begin to rebalance you life. The key is not to step away from the life which you begin to balance for yourself. Nothing is greater than now, when you try to step outside yourself for something more is when all the problems occur. I know from personal experience.

Suicide is a permanent choice for a temporary problem. Your problem can be fixed by drugs like wellbutrin or zyban. these are clarity giving drugs that will change your perspective. Your problems are fixable. You know what's not correctable? being dead.

When I was younger I wrestled with deep feelings of depression, so I understand. Just know that there is change out there for you. Things will change eventually. You have to be patient. Make a goal of change- something you want in life but don't have. Do everything to meet that goal. No matter how far fetched that goal, make it your mantra of achievement. Eventually things changed for me. Eventually I was able to find happiness. You will too. You can't predict the future. You may do any number of things that you can't even imagine. I never predicted where life has brought me, and neither can you, even if you think so. But you know.. I can predict your life scenario if you end it- because there won't be one.

Think about it...

Mazuz said:

No it doesn't and no it isn't. As usual, it varies from person to person. Most people do get past it, with some combination of drugs, ECT, cognitive or other therapy, change of diet, exercise, or just a bit of time. Some people don't get past it. They endure a lifetime of it, in and out of psych wards, and die old and depressed. Or they kill themselves, which can be preferable to decades of abject suffering. And I must comment on something that someone else said. Depression is NOT a part of life and is NOT something we all have to go through. It is a medical condition affecting a small (but sizable) proportion of the community. Sadness, feeling a bit down, a bit negative, grief for loved ones lost, that is part of life. Not depression.

My advice to string_theory is try whatever treatments are out there. If the first drug doesn't work, try another one. Drugs don't work? Try some therapy. As a last resort, try ECT, it's scary, a bit of a headache, some short-term memory loss, but can work for some people. Before that try changing your diet and exercising regularly. Just keep trying again and again. The odds are that something will work. Much better to go with the odds then kill yourself right away. Staying alive during this time is your way of poking your tongue out at nature while it tries to destroy you.

string_theory, you say: "I have nothing to give to this world." When you suffer from depression, your judgement about yourself is clouded. You see yourself through a black fog. I'm telling you that at this time you should doubt yourself. Your opinions are being manipulated by your depression. Rely on the words of others, people you can trust, like your parents, schoolteachers, doctors. At this time, they know you better than you know yourself.

One more thing: the earlier you get treatment, the better off you'll be.

string_theory said:
I am really greatful for your good intentions. Thank you very much. But I do not want to cheat myself: I have nothing to give to this world, and even If I had sth. I wouldn't...
you are the ONLY YOU in the universe! please do not cheat us of your unique contribution.

medication is often the quickest and easiest way to relieve the depression. long term, i believe a change of life style might be necessary (diet, occupation, view of the world, etc). there might be natural foods, herbs or whatever that can help with the chemical balance. some people believe that sugar (in all it's forms) causes more depression than any other substance (of course, alchohol is probably the worst).

do not be too proud to ask for help. no of us know everything.

love&peace,
olde drunk

string_theory said:
I do not want to go to the doctor.
This is the biggest hurdle you have to overcome. You NEED to go see a doctor.

Just get some information from the internet or by somebody who gives assistance online and get the medicals...
This is a very bad idea, in general. In addition to this being (most likely) illegal, many internet sources are not reliable.

Talk to someone near you about your problem, or if you can't, please talk to a doctor or counselor.

At least blow all your money when you go (unless you have kids).. don't be a wuss and do it snivelling on your bed with a bunch of pills. Live life a bit first, then off yourself.

string_theory said:

If things were lovely all the time
And all our days were good,
we never could appreciate
God's blessings as we should.
Then let's rejoice that there are times
When shadows cloud our day,
and thank the Lord that He with-holds
some things for which we pray.
For had He givin all we sought
it could have brought us woe;
And thus, we would have lost the joy
That God would have us know.
We need to know the blessedness
Of victory over wrong,
For after overcoming trials,
We sing a sweeter song! :smile:
-F.M. Bates

In a few years, depression will become the world's leading disability; you are not alone. Find a caring, competent psychiatrist through a local teaching hospital (university medical center) - they might even work for a sliding-scale fee. For serious depression, an appropriate modern antidepressant and cognitive behavioral therapy are together shown to be twice as effective as either alone. If you agree to such a regimen, keep your doctor informed of any side effects you experience.

Stay away from stimulants, street drugs in general, and those who use them. Most herbal "cures" are unfounded. Exercise is a great palliative, as is proper diet (low sugar, salt and fat). Try to find a support group for depression nearby. Belief in a higher power and/or meditation are often helpful. Seek employment, even if as a volunteer; pursue hobbies. Importantly, try to reduce stress in your life. Keep a steady daytime and sleep schedule; maintain a diary. Make a positive effort to initiate socialization. Above all:

Know that life improves and has great meaning!

Life is like a burning furnace, we are BBQed inside,
therefore----Depression.

Happy-go-lucky could be better.

string_theory said:

That feeling that you have nothing to give is part of the depression and the lack of energy that goes with it. If you treat the depression, you'll have the energy back to concentrate and do productive things and make a contribution to the world. If that's something that bothers you, then consider making yourself the promise that once you get treatment to get your energy back, you'll go do something to help society. Volunteer at a food bank, or to build a house with Habitat for Humanity, or anything where you'll be around other people and doing something good for society. How else might you contribute to society? Perhaps you can think up some other ways. Give yourself something to look forward to. That's the hardest part, rather than looking back at what you feel you haven't done, look forward to what you can do differently.

For those saying it is temporary, that's not always true. It depends on the causes. It also can be cyclic, especially for those with bipolar disorder, where they go through periods of depression, then cycle into manic phases. When you're too down to pull yourself out of it, you need to see a doctor and get help. Keep in mind depression can be a symptom of other problems too, so seeing a doctor is the most important first step. You might not need SSRIs if there is something else that needs treating. Only a doctor can help you determine this. Schedule a check-up and let the doctor know during the check-up that you are feeling depressed. While it might be helpful for the doctor to know you are feeling depressed when you schedule the appointment for him/her to schedule enough time and make your appointment sooner than later, if you can't bring yourself to give that as your reason, then schedule it as a regular check-up.