Did you know all of this in the 7th grade?

• Thread starter Simon = Mc2
  • Start date
In summary: Calculus is a bit more difficult, but it's also really important in physics and chemistry. It helps with things like derivatives, integrals, limits, and oscillations.So in summary, if you are in 7th grade and want to know if you can do all of these subjects at a high school level, the answer is absolutely yes! You have an advantage because you are ahead of the curve and have already started learning some of these subjects. Keep up the good work!
Simon = Mc2
Hello as you can tell by the title I'm in 7th grade. But I was wondering if at this age you could do physics, chemistry, astronomy, calculus, and geometry all at a level if a Junior in high school. Is this just really weird it really cool. I don't know but I really enjoy learning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also I'm not trying to brag I'm just really curious to know

No, absolutely not. I was a late bloomer.

But good for you! It must be awesome to understand all that at such a young age. Keep going, and don't worry -- it will get extremely hard, soon enough :devil: :biggrin:.

You are ahead of the curve. Don't burn out and you will go far.

I agree about not getting burned out. If you do too much of something or feel obligated to do it, that can take away the fun. Like if you bowl for fun and then become a professional bowler.

In any case, k-12 education moves far too slow. Good for you for staying ahead, always try to understand the concepts so you can use this stuff in real life. Never get discouraged if something is hard or doesn't make sense. If you are confused by something in lecture don't get caught up ruminating on it during the rest of the lecture or you will miss out on the rest. :) Good luck! Some of the best jobs are mathematician, physicist, electrical engineer. Many people underestimate their math and science skills and thus don't go for these fields. You have an advantage.

How did you decide you know all those subjects at the level of a high school junior?

Simon = Mc2 said:
Hello as you can tell by the title I'm in 7th grade. But I was wondering if at this age you could do physics, chemistry, astronomy, calculus, and geometry all at a level if a Junior in high school.

Where I come from, a Junior in high school is in the 11th grade. Where are you from? o:)

Illinios a Junior for me is also grade 11.

In 7th grade, I think I was starting to learn algebra and the order of the planets in our solar system. I was a bit of a prodigy.

Likes Dembadon
Junior in my country is 10, and senior 12, middle 11.

What country I'm in USA

It is possible because

a) astronomy isn't taught at the junior level in US (as far as I know)
b) Physics, calculus and chemistry in high school is a joke, IMO

Simon = Mc2 said:
Hello as you can tell by the title I'm in 7th grade. But I was wondering if at this age you could do physics, chemistry, astronomy, calculus, and geometry all at a level if a Junior in high school. Is this just really weird it really cool. I don't know but I really enjoy learning.

I also enjoy learning! :smile: Keep up the great attitude! Your desire to learn (and keep learning) can be your greatest strength as you continue life!

If I understand your question correctly, and you are in the 7th grade, and are wondering about physics, chemistry, astronomy, calculus, and geometry, then keep in mind that some subjects lay the foundation for others, and sometimes they all complement each other. Let me give you some examples.

Usually, the way most classes are taught these days, you will want to study algebra first before moving on to geometry. (Although historically, the opposite may have been true in ancient history -- regarding when these fields were developed. But that's a different story.) Algebra also sets the basic foundation for physics, chemistry, calculus, and parts of astronomy.

There's lots of astronomy you can do on your own today, simply by looking up at the sky and taking notice: looking at the constellations, the moon, and the positions of the visible planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter). Additionally, with some simple tools such as binoculars or a telescope, you can do more. If you want to pursue astronomy even further, there's math, math, and more math that fits into astronomy (if you are interested in such things) as well as physics and chemistry too! All of the above fits into astronomy in some way or another.

From an historical point of view, physics, as we know it today, was at least partially inspired by astronomy. And calculus was inspired by physics (and ironically at about the same time, and developed by the same people: Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz).

The point of all that is although you don't need calculus to study basic physics, it certainly helps. It actually makes the physics easier. But you can study both together; they go hand in hand.

Chemistry classes require mostly just algebra and some geometry. And yet it can be argued that the foundation of modern chemistry is 3-dimensional quantum mechanics, with a few approximations (what chemists call "electron clouds" or "electron orbitals" are actually what quantum physicists call "energy eigenstates" of atoms, more-or-less, although greatly simplified, and with a few approximations) [Edit: and statistical mechanics, I shouldn't neglect that]. But you'll likely never learn it in that order. Chemistry is usually learned by most people without any knowledge of quantum mechanics [nor statistical mechanics]. Just make sure to keep your algebra skills sharp.

So everything fits together with tendrils of one subject holding up parts of the others. And there's enough information fill a lifetime of learning. :smile:

My advice is to take it one step at a time. Even though they all fit together somehow, don't expect to learn everything, all at once.

And do keep up the good "I really enjoy learning" attitude. That alone will get you farther than anything else I've said here. :smile:

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
I also enjoy learning! :smile: Keep up the great attitude! Your desire to learn (and keep learning) can be your greatest strength as you continue life!

If I understand your question correctly, and you are in the 7th grade, and are wondering about physics, chemistry, astronomy, calculus, and geometry, then keep in mind that some subjects lay the foundation for others, and sometimes they all complement each other. Let me give you some examples.

Usually, the way most classes are taught these days, you will want to study algebra first before moving on to geometry. (Although historically, the opposite may have been true in ancient history -- regarding when these fields were developed. But that's a different story.) Algebra also sets the basic foundation for physics, chemistry, calculus, and parts of astronomy.

There's lots of astronomy you can do on your own today, simply by looking up at the sky and taking notice: looking at the constellations, the moon, and the positions of the visible planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter). Additionally, with some simple tools such as binoculars or a telescope, you can do more. If you want to pursue astronomy even further, there's math, math, and more math that fits into astronomy (if you are interested in such things) as well as physics and chemistry too! All of the above fits into astronomy in some way or another.

From an historical point of view, physics, as we know it today, was at least partially inspired by astronomy. And calculus was inspired by physics (and ironically at about the same time, and developed by the same people: Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz).

The point of all that is although you don't need calculus to study basic physics, it certainly helps. It actually makes the physics easier. But you can study both together; they go hand in hand.

Chemistry classes require mostly just algebra and some geometry. And yet it can be argued that the foundation of modern chemistry is 3-dimensional quantum mechanics, with a few approximations (what chemists call "electron clouds" or "electron orbitals" are actually what quantum physicists call "energy eigenstates" of atoms, more-or-less, with a few approximations). But you'll likely never learn it in that order. Chemistry is usually learned by most people without any knowledge of quantum mechanics. Just make sure keep your algebra skills sharp.

So everything fits together with tendrils of one subject holding up parts of the others. And there's enough information fill a lifetime of learning. :smile:

My advice is to take it one step at a time. Even though they all fit together somehow, don't expect to learn everything, all at once.

And do keep up the good "I really enjoy learning" attitude. That alone will get you farther than anything else I've said here. :smile:

I think he has already learned it. :)

Rocket50 said:
I think he has already learned it. :)

I'm still learning it. :smile: And there's so, so much more to go. :biggrin:

collinsmark said:
I'm still learning it. :smile: And there's so, so much more to go. :biggrin:

To the grade 11 level. :)

Simon = Mc2 said:
What country I'm in USA

Vietnam. Your high school program is almost different and seems better.

In my country, what was taught in high school is taught again totally the same in college but deeper and broader with more labs and applications (e.g differential equations will be used wherever possible). (this applies for only general subjects e.g maths, physics, chemistry,..., not specialized ones; if one's major is any of the specified general subjects, sure he will get in touch deeper with its diversity and difficulties i.e related subjects he wants to dig in like those at advanced level)
What was taught in secondary school is taught again in high school but deeper and broader and introduced with new subjects as well as methods to resolve issues or problems.

Last edited:
I am also from the USA, I am 16 years old and just started my freshman year in college. The best thing to do is to demonstrate your knowledge and your desire to skip grades to your parents. I knew math up to some diffy q's by 7th grade, but my parents assumed my knowledge wasn't genuine, that I just wanted to "act" smart.

By some stroke of luck, they allowed me to take the ACT and I scored a 32, and they said anything above a 30 and they'll work toward getting me into college early. That was last year, and since then I have tested out of calculus I, and am taking classes and will be a sophomore next semester, at age 17.

My advice: keep working at it, and if the content is too slow express it to anyone that will listen, don't wait as long as I did.

leroyjenkens said:
In 7th grade, I think I was starting to learn algebra and the order of the planets in our solar system. I was a bit of a prodigy.

Is that early? I knew all the planets and most of the moons along with all of the Eras and Periods of the geological time scale by third grade. Algebra on the other hand, well, let's just say my very loose grasp didn't start until high school! :D

Hello.
I'd say that you are on a good track. I too am curious about learning, and knew many of those things in 7th grade.

However, I would not suggest starting college early. I took the ACT when I was 13 (7th grade) to qualify for the Duke TIP program. I scored a 27 or 28 composite (I can't remember now).

I'm now a junior in high school, and am glad that I didn't try to go to college early. I've realized that the lack of challenging material in middle and elementary school made me have awful studying skills.
I didn't really have to do any work to get an A+ in school. However, that is not the case now that I'm taking more challenging classes like Astrophysics. I've had a little trouble in high school because I don't really know how to study. I imagine it would be worse going off to college right away.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, I did Chemistry, Geometry, and Principles of Technology in 9th. Physics wasn't even offered until I was a Senior. I did the fast track for Calculus, which meant I took it as a Senior. I would have been capable and interested in taking it much sooner, but resources for advanced students weren't abundant.

1. Did you always know you wanted to be a scientist since 7th grade?

No, I didn't always know I wanted to be a scientist at that age. As I grew older and learned more about science, I became more interested in pursuing it as a career.

2. Did you excel in science class during 7th grade?

I did well in science class in 7th grade, but I wouldn't say I excelled. It wasn't until high school and college that I really excelled in science courses.

3. What sparked your interest in science during 7th grade?

In 7th grade, I was introduced to a variety of different branches of science, including biology, chemistry, and physics. I found them all fascinating and enjoyed learning about how the world works on a scientific level.

4. Did you participate in any science fairs or competitions in 7th grade?

I did participate in a science fair in 7th grade, where I conducted a project on the effects of different types of fertilizer on plant growth. It was a fun and rewarding experience that further fueled my interest in science.

5. How did your understanding of science change from 7th grade to now?

In 7th grade, my understanding of science was very basic and surface level. As I continued to study and learn more about science, my understanding became more complex and nuanced. I now have a deeper appreciation for the scientific method and the importance of evidence-based reasoning in the field of science.