Share Random Biology Facts Here!

• Thread starter Lanka
  • Start date
In summary: Interesting to know that some turtles still use this method of respiration in the wild! In summary, some turtles can breathe through their butts.
Lanka
I am starting this thread because I have learned that many people know strange random facts. So if you know a random biology related fact, post it here.

I'll start:

Did you know that turtles can actually breathe through their butts? They can use this when they are head first in water so that oxygen can get into their blood. When they are, for instance, searching in small deposits of water looking for food, it would be very inconvenient to have to come up every few minutes to take in water since they move so slowly anyways. Because of this, some species of water turtles have actually adapted to breathe through their butts.

A prime example is the Fitzroy River turtle (Rheodytes leukops) which can obtain as much as two-thirds of its oxygen supply through this route.

Biology news on Phys.org
That's more a rare example rather than a common trait for all turtles.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/85006057/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Please fact check before posting, and provide supporting evidence for such claims, so we are not just spreading myths here.

I realize, Moonbear, that it is not a common trait for all turtles. The fact is that it is limited to only water turtles. Even then, most water-based turtles can take in some amount of air through this means, though for most turtles this is not a significant amount of air at all. Only a few types, like the rare Fitzroy River turtle, can take in enough air through these means to live for a long enough time to matter.

Though this is all true, the fact is that some types of turtles can breathe through their butts. This may take quite a few people by surprise and that is why I posted it. That is what I meant by started this thread. I want to learn strange facts that I didn't know before, that is all.

Lanka said:
I realize, Moonbear, that it is not a common trait for all turtles. The fact is that it is limited to only water turtles. Even then, most water-based turtles can take in some amount of air through this means, though for most turtles this is not a significant amount of air at all. Only a few types, like the rare Fitzroy River turtle, can take in enough air through these means to live for a long enough time to matter.

Though this is all true, the fact is that some types of turtles can breathe through their butts. This may take quite a few people by surprise and that is why I posted it. That is what I meant by started this thread. I want to learn strange facts that I didn't know before, that is all.

It was not made clear in the first post that this wasn't generalized to all turtles. Little tidbits of information can be fun, we just put accuracy high on our priorities on this forum, so details like that should be specified. This isn't just a notice for you, but for anyone who posts in this thread.

Interesting trivia Lanka, thanks for sharing..

Just to give you a head's up.. on all the science threads, one of our guidelines is to be factual. I am guessing your referral to a turtle's butt was in jest? For those who are not aware, the term butt (short for buttocks) is present only in mammals, notably primates. In humans, this refers to the rounded hindquarters, made up of gluteal muscles and fatty tissue. A turtle's excretory and reproductive opening is called a cloaca. Now you've taught me that some turtles respire via their cloaca as well.

I remember this term cloaca from high school, where I raised red-eared sliders and experimented with light exposure as it relates to Vitamin D synthesis, calcium uptake and proper hardening of their shell (carapace & plastron).

What is the purpose of sharing random biology facts?

The purpose of sharing random biology facts is to increase knowledge and awareness about various biological concepts and phenomena. It can also spark curiosity and interest in the subject, leading to further exploration and learning.

Can anyone share a random biology fact?

Yes, anyone can share a random biology fact as long as it is accurate and supported by reliable sources. It is important to fact-check information before sharing it to ensure its validity.

Why is it important to share accurate information when sharing biology facts?

Sharing accurate information is important because it helps prevent the spread of misinformation and promotes the understanding of science. Inaccurate information can lead to misconceptions and misunderstandings about important biological concepts.

Where can I find reliable sources for random biology facts?

There are many reliable sources for biology facts, such as scientific journals, textbooks, and reputable websites. It is important to check the credibility of the source before using it as a reference.

How can sharing random biology facts benefit society?

Sharing random biology facts can benefit society by promoting scientific literacy and understanding of the natural world. It can also inspire people to make informed decisions about their health and the environment, leading to a healthier and more sustainable society.