Did you know

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Both. A banana (the yellow thing you peel and eat) is undoubtedly a fruit (containing the seeds of the plant: see answer regarding tomatoes), though since commercially grown banana plants are sterile, the seeds are reduced to little specks. However, the banana plant, though it is called a 'banana-tree' in popular usage, is technically regarded as a herbaceous plant (or 'herb'), not a tree, because the stem does not contain true woody tissue.

I heard it over the radio and had to look.

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
More banana trivia -

The Cavendish or Dwarf Cavendish is the name for the banana cultivar used most commonly in the world banana trade.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavendish_banana

Apparently a fungus is slowly destroying the populations of the Cavendish banana.
The Cavendish banana could be wiped out - http://www.physorg.com/news5802.html

I heard about this more recently, but don't remember where. :rolleyes:

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nope, I didn't know that.

And did you know...bamboo isn't a tree, it's a grass.

wolram
Gold Member
Nope, I didn't know that.

And did you know...bamboo isn't a tree, it's a grass.
I did not know that.

Banana, No. Bamboo, yes.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Did you know that peanuts is actually an adjective?

Marshmallows are vegetables.

And Lucozade is made from bee venom.

Bananas are created by God to perfectly feed man.

All true.

Nothing beats tomacco. :smile:
UUUUHHHHHH!!! That tastes disgusting..............

What's this........strange addictive needs forming.......need......more....Tomacco!!!

Evo
Mentor
Did you know that peanuts aren't nuts, they're legumes?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They should be called "pealegumes."

Bananas are created by God to perfectly feed man.
Comfort should try his little speech with a natural banana instead of the kind we bred into existence.

Did you know you half to have a permit to grow peanuts in the US?

Did you know that bananas were specifically made by God Himself for humans to consume and enjoy?

However, the banana plant, though it is called a 'banana-tree' in popular usage, is technically regarded as a herbaceous plant (or 'herb'), not a tree, because the stem does not contain true woody tissue.
This is where the "kicking trees to be a kickboxer" myth came from.

You see, in Thailand, where Muay Thai is huge (obviously), before heavy bags (i.e. the kind boxers use) were common, they would kick young banana trees because they were very rubbery and soft, since they weren't actual trees.

Then you have idiots in the Western World who decide to kick freakin' oak trees in their backyard because they think it will make them tough. Hilarity ensues when the doctor tells them they'll never be able to walk again!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Did you know that -

Cashews are in the same family as poison ivy and poison sumac.​

Like the others in this family, the cashew plant contains powerful chemical irritants, so handling and eating raw cashews will cause the familiar itchy skin reaction in people sensitive to the chemicals. People who are sensitive to one plant in the family, for example poison ivy, are likely to be sensitive to others.

Why don't we get a reaction when we eat cashew nuts, then? The irritants are found in the shell oil, but not in the nuts themselves. So, handling the shell or eating a nut with shell oil on it can cause the reaction.
http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/cashews.html

I enjoy cashews and various nuts. I do not enjoy cracking the shell.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They should be called "pealegumes."
"Pealegume butter and jelly" sounds disgusting.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did you know that -

Cashews are in the same family as poison ivy and poison sumac.​

http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/cashews.html

I enjoy cashews and various nuts. I do not enjoy cracking the shell.
In adhesives research, there is a great amount of activity into finding alternatives to petroleum-based adhesives. Resin made from cashew nut oil has been found to be an excellent substitute for phenol-based products.

Yes I did, in fact I have been told that fact officially 100 times now. Along with they are also called groundnuts, and various sundry facts about peanut butter, it's inventor etc. Congratulations :smile:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Did you know..

Bananas were officially introduced to the American public at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition. Each banana was wrapped in foil and sold for 10 cents. Before that time, bananas came to America on the decks of sailing ships as sailors took a few stems home after traveling in the Caribbean.
http://www.eatmorebananas.com/facts/history.htm

Wow in 1876, that would of been a lot of money.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Each banana was wrapped in foil and sold for 10 cents.

I didn't know they had foil back in 1876!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's hard to imagine bananas and foil being exotic things.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A banana (the yellow thing you peel and eat) is undoubtedly a fruit...
More specifically, a banana is a berry, unlike the strawberry (or the raspberry), which are not.

More specifically, a banana is a berry, unlike the strawberry (or the raspberry), which are not.
I think it's a seeds on the outside thing, berries have their seed on the inside.

It's hard to imagine bananas and foil being exotic things.
After the second world war when bananas started coming back into the country, they showed some soldiers handing bananas to kids, and they were trying to eat them without removing the skin, so some soldier had to explain how to eat a banana. Was really interesting to see the expressions on the children's faces who were bemused by this unusual and new food stuff.

Last edited: