How Does Inserting a Dielectric Affect Capacitance and Potential?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the energy and capacitance of a capacitor as a function of x, and how force is related to this energy. There is some confusion about the exact equation and how it changes when a new dielectric is inserted. The total capacitance needs to be calculated using an equivalent circuit and the dielectric between the plates needs to be considered.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Adsız12.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't find the V(x).I don't know ho to write the equation.I think that it will be constant cause potential betwwen two plates should be constant... ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the energy in the capacitor as a function of x?
In other words, what is the capacitance as a function of x?
How is force related to this energy?

cnh1995 said:
What is the energy in the capacitor as a function of x?
In other words, what is the capacitance as a function of x?
How is force related to this energy?
##C_{eq}=(K+1)ε_0 \frac {xb} {d}## ? or maybe
##C=Kε_0 \frac {xb} {d}##

Arman777 said:
##C_{eq}=(K+1)ε_0 \frac {xb} {d}## ? or maybe
##C=Kε_0 \frac {xb} {d}##
I don't know the exact expression as I myself haven't worked it out yet, but check the answer at x=0. Is the capacitance zero at x=0?

cnh1995 said:
I don't know the exact expression as I myself haven't worked it out yet, but check the answer at x=0. Is the capacitance zero at x=0?
Yeah its

Arman777 said:
Yeah its
No, it isn't.
What is the capacitance for x=0?

cnh1995 said:
No, it isn't.
What is the capacitance for x=0?
Theres no area when x=0

Arman777 said:
Theres no area when x=0
How is this possible? Which area is considered for calculation of capacitance?

cnh1995 said:
How is this possible? Which area is considered for calculation of capacitance?
You are taking a-x I am just x

Arman777 said:
You are taking a-x I am just x
But that doesn't make the total capacitance zero. You need to draw the equivalent circuit and find the total capacitance as a function of x.

cnh1995 said:
But that doesn't make the total capacitance zero. You need to draw the equivalent circuit and find the total capacitance as a function of x.
I didnt understand

Arman777 said:
I didnt understand
What is the dielectric between the plates before the new dielectric (with constant k) is inserted?
What is the capacitance when the new dielectric is not inserted at all?

What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that does not conduct electricity. It is commonly used as an insulator in electronic devices to prevent the flow of electric current.

What is the purpose of a dielectric between plates?

The main purpose of a dielectric between plates is to increase the capacitance of a capacitor. The dielectric material helps to store more electric charge and increase the overall energy storage capacity of the capacitor.

How does a dielectric affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

A dielectric material increases the capacitance of a capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates. This allows for more electric charge to be stored on the plates, resulting in a higher capacitance value.

What are some common materials used as dielectrics?

Some common materials used as dielectrics include air, plastic, glass, ceramic, and paper. The choice of dielectric material depends on various factors such as the desired capacitance value, operating voltage, and temperature range.

How does the thickness of a dielectric affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The thickness of a dielectric has a direct impact on the capacitance of a capacitor. A thicker dielectric results in a higher capacitance value, as it allows for more electric charge to be stored on the plates. However, using a very thick dielectric can also decrease the overall performance of the capacitor due to increased distance between the plates.