Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Dielectric Capacitor

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A parallel plate cap of cross sectional area A and thickness d is filled with a dielectric material whose relative permittivity varies from [tex]\epsilon_r = 1 to \epsilon_r = 10[/tex]
    Find the capacitance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

C = Q/V

E = [tex]\sigma / e0 \epsilon_r[/tex]

I am thinking that since V = [tex]- \int{}{} E dot dl[/tex] I need to integrate, I can't quite figure out the relationship between this though.

I kind of would like to just evaluate the from 10 to 1 and get C = 9 A e0 / d but that isn't quite it.
    C = 9A e0 / d is close to the answer, but somehow a ln sneaks in there too?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

how does the dielectric vary from 1 to 10? linearly?

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

no
    [tex]
    V=\int \vec E \cdot d\vec \ell=\int_{x=0}^{x=\ell}\frac{D}{\epsilon(x)}dx=D\int_{x=0}^{x=\ell}\frac{1}{\epsilon(x)}dx
    [/tex]
    and if eps varies linearly one does end up with a log term in the capacitance. (here D=\epsilon E is the electric displacemnt field)

I kind of would like to just evaluate the from 10 to 1 and get C = 9 A e0 / d but that isn't quite it.
    C = 9A e0 / d is close to the answer, but somehow a ln sneaks in there too?[/QUOTE]

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    Yes, sorry it's linearly.

Cool thanks, I'll give it a shot now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook