1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectric Charges

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When the bound charges in a dielectric arrange themselves in an electric field, this is called:
    A) Bound Charge Alignment
    B) Dielectricity
    C) Polarization
    D) Reactance

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that this is a straightforward question, but I just need clarification. My book doesn't directly define any of these terms, so I looked it up online. And from what I could find on Dielectric Materials, Dielectricity causes polarization of the electrons so that they arrange themselves in an electric field.

So I believe the answer is Polarization, but is this correct? Is it Dielectricity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2
    Polarization is correct. Think of the charges as small magnets. They each have a positive and a negative pole, but they aren't turned in any specific order, so it's all random.
    When the dielectric is placed under influence from an electric field, all the charges will turn, so that the negative charge points towards the positive part of the electric field and vice versa. Thus you have "polarized" the charges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted