1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Dielectric charges

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    can someone in detail explain to me why can't a dielectric attract charges?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2
    Typically a dielectric is a neutrally charged polarizable material. When you apply an electric field, such as in a capacitor, the electric field will polarize it, inducing a smaller electric field in the opposite direction.

But yeah, the quick answer is that it doesn't have a net positive or negative charge.

4. Mar 14, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The induced polarisation in a dielectric can cause attraction. Dust particles are attracted to a charged rod even when they have no net charge.
    So the OP is not strictly accurate except in a uniform field.

5. Mar 14, 2017 #4
    This is also true. Any induced charge will create it's own electric field as I said, which can interact with charges the way any other electric field would.

6. Mar 14, 2017 #5
    I know that they can attract but just wanted to know in an instance where charges wouldn't attract. Thanks for the replys

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted