1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectric/Conductor Interface

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    How do I compute the electric Field, polarization and flux density at the interface of a dielectric material and a conducting Material?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Use Maxwell's equations with the appropriate boundary conditions. Without any additional information, that is about the best answer I can give.

Is this question in the context of Capacitors, or does it have a connection with Surface Plasmon Resonance?

Claude.

4. Sep 23, 2004 #3
    Thanks Claude

5. Oct 8, 2004 #4
    In regards to the conditions of Megans question the question just states that there is a bound surface charge density sigma b, and a free surface charge density sigma f.

So how do I use that in Maxwells equations?

6. Oct 10, 2004 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

You can find the tangential and perpendicular components of the electric field at the boundary using the boundary conditions.

Think about how the D vectors on both sides of the interface are related at the interface.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?