Discovering the Material with the Highest Dielectric Constant

In summary, some doped ferroelectrics like barium titanate have a dielectric constant (k) ranging from 1200 to 1600. However, before these exotic materials were developed, poly-vynilidine and poly-vynalcloride (such as TEDLAR and Saran Wrap) were known to have high dielectric constants and strengths. The break down voltage of a capacitor made from tin foil and saran wrap could not be determined in a lab experiment. The speed of light through platina is unknown.
ddr
I would dearly like to know what material has the highest relative dielectric constant and how much is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some doped ferroelectrics have κ values in excess of 1,000.

Last edited:
In particular, the dielectrical constant k of barium titanate ranges from 1200 to 1600

Originally posted by ddr
I would dearly like to know what material has the highest relative dielectric constant and how much is it?

Hi ddr,
Before the exotic materials mentioned by others were developed, I found, among plastic sheeting that "TEDLAR" a poly-vynilidine was optimum for both its high dielectrc constant and high dielectric strength. Cheers, Jim

Originally posted by NEOclassic
Hi ddr,
Before the exotic materials mentioned by others were developed, I found, among plastic sheeting that "TEDLAR" a poly-vynilidine was optimum for both its high dielectric constant and high dielectric strength. Cheers, Jim

I also can testify to this, Poly-vynalcloride, or Saran Wrap has a very high dielectric constant. We made a capacitor from tin foil and saran warp that amazed us. Part of the lab was to find the break down voltage, we could not. The lab was written with wax paper as the probable dielectric material.

Platina

What is the speed of light through platina?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a dielectric constant?

A dielectric constant is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is a dimensionless quantity that compares the capacitance of a material to the capacitance of a vacuum.

2. Why is discovering a material with a high dielectric constant important?

Materials with a high dielectric constant are essential for many electronic devices, such as capacitors and insulators. They allow for the efficient storage and transfer of electrical energy, making them crucial for the advancement of technology.

3. How is the dielectric constant of a material measured?

The dielectric constant of a material is typically measured using a device called a capacitance meter. This device measures the capacitance of a material and compares it to the capacitance of a vacuum, resulting in a numerical value for the dielectric constant.

4. What are some materials with high dielectric constants?

Some common materials with high dielectric constants include barium titanate, strontium titanate, and lead zirconate titanate. These materials are often used in electronic devices and have dielectric constants ranging from 100-10,000.

5. What are the potential applications for a material with the highest dielectric constant?

A material with the highest dielectric constant would have many potential applications, including the development of more efficient and compact electronic devices. It could also lead to advancements in energy storage and conversion, as well as improvements in communication and data processing technologies.