1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectric-Dielectric Boundary Conditions Problem

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem can be found http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee382/homework/382Homework4.pdf" [Broken]. It is the first one. Note: The subscript x = 0 is supposed to be y = 0 (the teacher typed it in wrong).

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2t} = \epsilon_{2}\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1t}/\epsilon_{1}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2n} = \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1n}[/tex] (assuming [tex]\rho_{s} = 0[/tex] because it isn't mentioned)

[tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2} = \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2t} + \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2t} = \epsilon_{2}\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1t}/\epsilon_{1} = \epsilon_{2}(\hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{x}\alpha + \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{z}\gamma)/\epsilon_{1}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2n} = \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1n} = \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{y}\beta[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2} = \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2t} + \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2n} = \epsilon_{2}(\hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{x}\alpha + \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{z}\gamma)/\epsilon_{1} + \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{y}\beta[/tex]

Is this all there is to it, or do I need to do something with the y = 0 stuff? My teacher told me that I'm supposed to evaluate the given vector at y = 0, but since the vector contains no y's, it doesn't make any sense to me. It seems kind of redudant to me, actually. Do you suppose the y = 0 is just telling me where the boundary is located (if I wasn't able to figure it out from the figure)? If someone could cure me of my confusion, that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted