Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Dielectric-Dielectric Boundary Conditions Problem

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem can be found http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee382/homework/382Homework4.pdf" [Broken]. It is the first one. Note: The subscript x = 0 is supposed to be y = 0 (the teacher typed it in wrong).

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2t} = \epsilon_{2}\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1t}/\epsilon_{1}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2n} = \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1n}[/tex] (assuming [tex]\rho_{s} = 0[/tex] because it isn't mentioned)

[tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2} = \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2t} + \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2t} = \epsilon_{2}\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1t}/\epsilon_{1} = \epsilon_{2}(\hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{x}\alpha + \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{z}\gamma)/\epsilon_{1}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2n} = \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{1n} = \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{y}\beta[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2} = \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2t} + \vec{\boldsymbol{D}}_{2n} = \epsilon_{2}(\hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{x}\alpha + \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{z}\gamma)/\epsilon_{1} + \hat{\boldsymbol{a}}_{y}\beta[/tex]

Is this all there is to it, or do I need to do something with the y = 0 stuff? My teacher told me that I'm supposed to evaluate the given vector at y = 0, but since the vector contains no y's, it doesn't make any sense to me. It seems kind of redudant to me, actually. Do you suppose the y = 0 is just telling me where the boundary is located (if I wasn't able to figure it out from the figure)? If someone could cure me of my confusion, that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted