Dielectric in an electrostatic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electrostatic fields and dielectric materials. It is stated that the electric field can cause a polarization in the dielectric material, resulting in an attractive force. The calculation for this force is also mentioned, as well as the effect of using two parallel conductor plates. The conversation ends with a request for help on this topic.
Nakis
Hi all,

I am sorry this could sound like heard many times before, but I am trying to understand this problem and found nothing in my physics books.

If I put a small dielectric (bit of paper) into an electrostatic field (for example generated by a rubbed plastic rod), the paper will be attracted. In theory, the electric field causes a polarization in the paper, which amounts to a surface charge... If the rod is positive, a negative charge will appear in the paper surface, resulting in an "upward" force. How can his force be calculated?

Furthermore, how does this work if I use two parallel conductor plates, put the paper on a plate and apply some potential? Here, ithe charges would be different on each side of the paper, so that it would never leave one surface to find some equilibrium position...

I know it's weird, but anyway thanks for any help !

-Nakis

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field produces an electric dipole moment in a small chunk of dielectric.
If the field is uniform (as between two parallel plates, there will be no force, as you suggested. You need a non-uniform field to get a force. For instance, the force on a dielectric sphere of radius R a distance d from a point charge q is
F=[(1-epsilon/2+epsilon)]2q^2R^3/d^5. This is in Gaussian units.
It is a bit more complicated in SI. The dielectric factor would be somewhat different
(and difficult to calculate) for other shapes

Hello Nakis,

Great question! Dielectrics in an electrostatic field can be a bit tricky to understand, but I'll do my best to explain it.

First, let's define what a dielectric is. A dielectric is a material that does not conduct electricity, such as paper. When a dielectric is placed in an electrostatic field, the electric field causes the molecules in the dielectric to become polarized. This means that the positive and negative charges within the molecules become separated, with the positive charges aligning towards the negative charge and vice versa. This creates a net dipole moment in the dielectric.

Now, when you bring a positively charged object, such as a rubbed plastic rod, near the dielectric, the positive charges in the dielectric will be attracted to the negative charge on the rod, causing the dielectric to be attracted to the rod. This is because opposite charges attract each other.

To calculate the force on the dielectric, we can use the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field strength. In this case, the charge is the induced charge on the surface of the dielectric, and the electric field strength is the electric field from the charged object. So, the force on the dielectric can be calculated by multiplying the induced charge by the electric field strength.

Now, for your second question about using two parallel conductor plates with the dielectric in between. In this case, the dielectric will still be attracted to the positively charged plate, but it will also be repelled by the negatively charged plate. This creates a net force on the dielectric, causing it to move towards the positively charged plate. However, once it reaches the plate, the charges on either side of the dielectric will balance out, resulting in an equilibrium position where the dielectric is neither attracted nor repelled by either plate.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions!

What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is a type of insulating material that is commonly used in electronic devices. It is characterized by its ability to store electrical energy in an electric field and its low conductivity.

How does a dielectric material affect an electrostatic field?

When a dielectric material is placed in an electrostatic field, it becomes polarized, meaning that its molecules align with the direction of the electric field. This results in an increase in the overall strength of the electric field within the material.

Why are dielectric materials used in capacitors?

Dielectric materials are used in capacitors because they can store a large amount of electrical energy in a small space. The polarization of the dielectric material increases the capacitance of the capacitor, allowing it to store more charge.

How is the dielectric constant of a material related to its permittivity?

The dielectric constant of a material is a measure of its ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is directly related to the material's permittivity, which is a measure of how easily an electric field can pass through the material.

Can dielectric materials conduct electricity?

Dielectric materials have low conductivity, meaning that they do not allow electric current to flow through them easily. However, in some cases, dielectric breakdown can occur, which is when the electric field becomes strong enough to cause the material to become conductive.