Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectric in an electrostatic field

1. Jun 17, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

I am sorry this could sound like heard many times before, but I am trying to understand this problem and found nothing in my physics books.

If I put a small dielectric (bit of paper) into an electrostatic field (for example generated by a rubbed plastic rod), the paper will be attracted. In theory, the electric field causes a polarization in the paper, which amounts to a surface charge... If the rod is positive, a negative charge will appear in the paper surface, resulting in an "upward" force. How can his force be calculated?

Furthermore, how does this work if I use two parallel conductor plates, put the paper on a plate and apply some potential? Here, ithe charges would be different on each side of the paper, so that it would never leave one surface to find some equilibrium position...

I know it's weird, but anyway thanks for any help !

-Nakis

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2005 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The electric field produces an electric dipole moment in a small chunk of dielectric.
    If the field is uniform (as between two parallel plates, there will be no force, as you suggested. You need a non-uniform field to get a force. For instance, the force on a dielectric sphere of radius R a distance d from a point charge q is
    F=[(1-epsilon/2+epsilon)]2q^2R^3/d^5. This is in Gaussian units.
    It is a bit more complicated in SI. The dielectric factor would be somewhat different
    (and difficult to calculate) for other shapes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?