1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectric material problem

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fully charged parallel plat capacitor remains connected to a battery while a dielectric is slid between. Does the electric field increase, decrease, or remain the same?

3. The attempt at a solution

Don't know this one or how to show it. I know that potential difference is constant and the capacitance and charge will increase, but I can't figure out the E. field.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Capacitance

What happens to a dielectric material when it is placed in an external electric field?

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3

I am not sure

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what is a dielectric?

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5

a nonconducting material.

7. Oct 26, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Erm... yes, but I meant on the atomic scale. In electromagnetism it is useful to think of dielectrics in a magnetic field as to be composed of dipoles. So, when you have a dipole in an electric field how does it tend to align itself with respect to the electric field?

8. Oct 26, 2008 #7

Not quite that far along yet. Is there a more simple solution? We haven't talked about dipoles or magnetic fields.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?